Another Treadmill Motor Speed Controller conversion thread

Those are some pretty tough requirements, especially if you want to do multiple motor controls. If I had not started down the path that I am on, I would probably go with a cheap low power PWM controller and add the proper MOSFET and power supply for driving a high power motor.
Here is an example:
This does pretty much what my controller would do for little more than the cost of the pot. Instead of driving the motor directly, I would drive an external MOSFET .

Add a 200v 20 amp bridge, a filter capacitor, and a power MOSFET and you're almost home. Yes it does require some work to maker a complete package but if you are making a bunch of them, you would have the advantage of having the same controller design for all your motors instead of a hodge podge of different controllers.

Heck, I might just order a couple for myself just to play with them.

My idea of a (near) perfect PWM controller would have some feedback from an encoder to provide rock solid speed control regardless of load, over current (stall) protection, and variable acceleration/deceleration. This in addition to return to preset speed and reversing, all with low EMI.

That is a future project though. My immediate goal is to have a basic functional VSD for my d.c. lather motor.

Hate this big quote info but have a question for Mr Sakowski. Will you be publishing your wiring diagram ? I have a lot of electronic parts but can only assemble from someone else's diagrams. I don't speak or understand things like Mofset. I'm also not quite sure where your existing controller fits in to the circuit. Thanks .It may all be above my capability to understand .
I didn't have any luck with the unit shown in the video. The control I bought was apparently too low amperage and I'd rather try another route.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo's RJSakowski,

It always good to see someones execution and how it was applied.

I was going to suggest to the ones who have 220v in their shops to just order the overseas version (220v/50hz) because it would be more straightforward install but then realized I could not find any, they don't offer a 220v version, just the 110v. ???

Nevertheless, thank you for all your posts and ideas. I imagine we should see an inexpensive (overseas) & easy DC controller being made soon that would be more plug and play? This subject of looking for a cheap solution to use treadmill motors and other similar DC motors is coming up too often fo fit not to happy, I would think there would be a good market for it?

Your ELS display looks interesting, nice job.

Last edited:
Thanks for contributing to this thread.
I've been in the busy season at my work and haven't had time to even think about this project. The busy season shouldbe waning but so fare we're slammed through December.

I'm leaning towards just buying the PWM in post 71 but need an off-the-shelf transformer or power supply. I can bump from 115-125v here so the 110 limit isn't something I want to mess with.

Any ideas on a good quality/price transformer?

As a general thing, one should be aware that the actual design or nominal mains or line voltage here in the US and elsewhere started out as 110/220/440 VAC. Over the years this has increased to 115, then 117 and then 120, with equivalent increases to the higher voltages. Also, when dealing with 3-phase source voltages, the actual voltages may depend upon whether the 3-phase system is connected for Delta or Wye, In general, you can usually disregard these changes and connections unless the system being connected is really marginal. In which case you may need to do something extra about it.

Update on the 602 D.C.motor conversion. I finished all the hardware for the bucking transformer, I used a terminal strip for the connections to facilitate any required voltage changes. As configured, I can select 95, 100,, or 105 volts with 120 volts in. I will be using the 105 volt setting.

There is still some work to do with the controller. I am not happy about the upward creeping speed. The next task will be to put the oscilloscope on it to see exactly what causes the phenomenon. In a worst case, I have thought about using the output from the rotary encoder to create an error signal. It should be possible to have a rock solid speed control regardless of load. This would be especially helpful at very low speed settings where torque would normally fall off.

However, it is a bunch of fiddling where I was expecting plug and play. For that reason, until the issue is resolved, I wouldn't recommend that anyone take this path.

As promised, I will begin to put together the build information concerning the bucking transformer and post it in another thread.

PWM Controller  4.JPGPWM Controller  5.JPG

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here in the thread, but I just got my mill working on the treadmill motor using an MC2100 controller, and wanted to share what I used for the PWM control. These are all over the web for around $10. I used the wiring harness directly from the board. I'll post pictures once I get everything cleaned up.

Thanks for info. I have 10-15 mc2100’s but not the know how to add 555 timers.

Thanks for info. I have 10-15 mc2100’s but not the know how to add 555 timers.
I just made a video of how I wired up the MC-2100. Could you let me know if anything isn't completely clear?

Back