Any Corvette Lovers Out There?

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for experiences and information concerning the 1963-1967 Corvette Stingrays. Many moons ago I had a 1963 convertible with the 340 hp 327 engine, close ratio 4 speed, Posi traction, and a few other goodies. I loved the car and thought it was one of the best handling and driving cars I ever owned.

A few years ago, I was interested in another one, so I took it for a test drive. Either my memory was faulty or the one I drove was an absolute wreck. It rode like a lumber wagon, couldn't hold the road worth a damn, and sounded more like an under powered tractor than a high-powered muscle car. I quickly passed on the idea and haven't looked back until yesterday.

I remember when I had mine a friend bought a new 1965. It had a British Racing Green paint job with the 425 hp 396, Posi traction, dual tops, side exhaust, and every option available at the time. I had the opportunity to drive his and was amazed at the difference in power and handling between the two. I'm thinking it might be time to revisit the idea of purchasing one. The hard part is to determine if the 1965's were that good, or the 1963 I drove was really that bad.

If I do eventually spring for one it will definitely be a carbon copy of the 1965 my friend owned. I'm not interested in earlier or later years, or different engine, transmission, and exhaust configurations. Unfortunately, I can't ask my friend since he passed away a few years ago. Any information and opinions would be appreciated.

Be careful, your memory can play tricks on you. These cars are old with old technology, they rode and drove better than the average car of that time, but are not anywhere near today's technology.

Also, Corvettes are generally drove hard and abused. Many are wreck survivors. Most of them probably need some kind of suspension maintenance unless the car has been fully restored. Your due diligence on the purchase will yield gratification. Good luck.

63 was the changeover year which Im sure had flaws . It did have the split window making it very expensive and sought after today . I think the 65 had the best lines of any year ever . Can't comment on the ride , my 70 was a money pit .

We had '65, '77, '86. The 86 was by far the best handling.
@mmcmdl I agree the '65 -'67s were beautiful. I had the privilege of touring Rick Hendrick's private collection. He has fully restored '67s in every color!
Corvette suspensions of that day are very outdated by todays standards and also have a lot of wear issues. The bushings would disintegrate and create major slop in all the suspension links. Another big issue is the half shaft coming out of the differential was a load carrying component of the suspension, essentially the upper arm. They would develop play at the differential and the camber would then be able to change in flight. Also any wear in the U joints would contribute. This was actually very dangerous resulting in oversteer (ask me how I know.) The steering linkage was a funky fiber reinforced material that would also wear and create steering slop. Any older Corvette would likely need all of the suspension replaced/addressed to optimize handling and that could get expensive. If you plan on a total resto that may be no big deal.

Last edited:
Nothing important to add except in 1988 I was a senior in College and dated a girl that had a beat up 1965 Vet. It was fun being driven around in a cool car by a hot chick with the top off.

• Wow
Reactions: rwm
You have to remember too, that the rubber suspension bushings are hard as a rock now, unless replaced.
That makes a big difference.

Like Randy says memory plays tricks.

Todays basic car suspensions are way better than those cars ..

As far as bigger motor .. generally the big block motor handled poorer , much more understeer. Your lighter 327 / 350 block would weigh in much less and handle way better.

My opinion , not the facts jack.

All of the cars I’m considering so far have supposedly had “ground up restorations”. If I find exactly what I’m looking for it would certainly get a thorough inspection and road test.

I do have some technical knowledge in the field. When I had my own repair business I got my NAISE Master Automotive Technician certification. That was so long ago they’ve changed the name to ASE certifications. I let the certifications expire in 1996 thinking everything I learned was obsolete.

The vehicle I’m looking for would have been 9 years old at the time. If I can remember half of what I knew then it might come in handy.

Never been impressed with the older Vettes. Today just about any coupe/sedan will out handle a 60 years old original suspension and drive line Vette. Now flip the page to a full race version on modern tires etc, could be quite a ride!

64 is the least desirable, If the A pillars show any signs of swelling/rust in any year do not get it. Check out the "bird cage" design to check for other rust spots that are extremely expensive to repair.

Reactions: rwm
Back