Any Corvette Lovers Out There?

I grew up driving cars of that era and older. The first vehicle I purchased was a 1937 Ford 1/2 ton pickup. Then came the 1951 Dodge, a few 50s era Chevies, and on and on.

In those days it was cheaper to buy another $25.00 clunker than repair them.

I should add, Corvettes are known for frame rust issues just in front of the rear wheel. The frame is tubular and will accumulate water and rust from the inside. Not strictly a suspension issue but a big problem.

I should add, Corvettes are known for frame rust issues just in front of the rear wheel. The frame is tubular and will accumulate water and rust from the inside. Not a suspension issue but a big problem.
can a little hole , well place alleviate the problem?
And yes, you are warning about an existing rot, not something that you fix now.. but if someone knew back then, a weep hole would have prevented it right?

I don't know the answer to that. Mid America sells a kit to immerse that area in oil.

Ford guy here, but I liked the 63 out of all the vettes. The rear irs was a big deal in the day, and the coupe was a beautiful car. As said a few modern updates would make all the difference. Mike

my 70 was a money pit .
I had a new '62, 340hp 327, close ratio gear box, metalic brakes, etc. A fun car to drive. BUT it used a qt. of oil to a fill of gas. Many trips back to dealers. I finally went back into the service bay while they had the heads off & asked the mechanic why it wasn't being fixed. He showed me the bright metal high spots in the bores. Each time the rings went by them a gap was opened and oil went into the combustion chambers. It would foul the plugs and be running on 6 cylinders with in a week. I finally got a factory rep to come talk to me. He flat told me GM would never replace a block. They put Hastings severe service rings in it and said that all they would do. As for the close ratio gear box that was coupled to a 3.07 rear. A really bad idea. No acceleration off the line. Slip the clutch for way to far to get going. 6400rpm red line @ 70mph, in low gear! On a new a new set of plugs, I could open the throttle @35mph, accelerate to 55mph at which point it would start to slip the tires all the way to red line @ 70! What in the world were they thinking? I got rid of the car when I went into the Navy.

yep, GM and Ford stood behind their cars.... FAR behind. I remember seeing pics of the guy burning his Ford in front of the main office because he thought it was a POS and they wouldn't fix it. So he sent a message...

........The hard part is to determine if the 1965's were that good, or the 1963 I drove was really that bad.......If I do eventually spring for one it will definitely be a carbon copy of the 1965 my friend owned. I'm not interested in earlier or later years, or different engine, transmission, and exhaust configurations.

I think you're kidding yourself. From a performance standpoint, other than options, all C2 vettes are the same, except in 65 disc brakes and big blocks became available. So it really doesn't have much to do with year but more on how it was optioned, and given the age, how it has been maintained and/or upgraded. As far as handling, a small block car is much more enjoyable to drive compared to the nose weight of a big block car. I bought and restored mine myself straight out of college almost 40 years ago. It was a basket case, but restored to be a very nice driver as 365hp 327cI, M21 4spd, with 4.11 posi rear. Riverside red roadster with black interior and both tops. Been driving it ever since. As a 60 year old car, you just need to be realistic about what they are. If performance and comfort is what you want (not to mention safety), for similar money, you'd be a million miles ahead buying a new or nearly new one......hands down, and it's not even close.......but it won't let you relive your youth. Modern Vettes are a great value as far as sports cars if you don't mind seeing another one at every stop light.

Best,
Kelly

Back