Any Corvette Lovers Out There?

I'm not trying to relive my youth, but rather looking for what I consider a prime piece of automotive history. I loved the body style when they were in production and still think it's one of the most stylish ever made.

Fully agree here, except the reliving youth part. In my case, I've owned my '64 for 40 years and having done all the work on it myself and driven it ever since, it's literally a part of my youth and the memories it invokes are strong and in part why I still own it, that and the fact is was my brother's who has since passed. It just wouldn't fetch a price that even came close to that.

I don't intend to race it either on the street or the track. I didn't abuse the one I had. I've never abused any vehicle I've owned and don't intend to start now.
A few reasons for looking for a 65 is the fact that it was the only year it could be purchased with a 425 hp 396 cu. in. engine. They weren't all that popular in that the 396 was introduced about halfway through the production year. That in addition to the off-road exhaust made in my mind one of the most impressive vehicles of the era. I liked the fact that it could be purchased with a 4:11 or a 4:56 rear end. My preference would be the 4:11

I suppose it depends upon what you consider to be abuse. For me, abuse would be owning a high powered sports car with a 4spd and low rear end and then driving it like a Honda Accord :). Seriously though, why would you ever put a 4.56 rear in a street car, especially a big block car, if you never intended to drive it like it was meant to be driven? That gear would cause you to be buzzing at North of 3500rpm at highway speed and render 1st gear about useless behind a big block......not very fun for touring and/or tooling around. 4:11 is ok but only marginally so. It's a good gear for a sbc with enough cam to pull the rpm to use it. Big blocks have enough torque to enjoy a taller rear gear, but even if you were inclined, you can never get enough rubber in the C2 wheel wells to use it, let alone get it to hook or keep the C2 rear in one piece. Like I said.....C2s are what they are.

In fact, about 15 years ago, I pulled the solid cam from mine and installed a hyrdraulic cam of nearly the same specs (much better tech these days) because cam wear, (my) age, and wisdom was causing me to tire with maintaining the solid grind. I also installed a 3.70 rear because I had it (or I might have even went 3.55), and because of how I drive it.....still spiritedly, but frankly, I have other cars that are so much faster, it's like I forgot to feed the squirrels under the hood when I climb into the vette.

-To each his own. Good luck with your search.

Best,
Kelly

In my mind use and abuse are two different things. In my younger days I really wasn't in a financial bracket that would allow me to "abuse" my cars. Some of my friends and acquaintances were in different financial straits. They came from families that apparently had more resources than I did. It was a common event for many of them to come north from Chicago on the weekends to the "rural" Wisconsin fun spots with their Vettes, Dodge Hemi's, and Ford Shelby's. After a few drinks things often got competitive and challenges went out as to who's car was fastest, or which one could handle the roads the best.

Almost every weekend one or more went home on a truck with a blown engine or transmission. A few had to have body damage repaired when they lost the game of chicken or didn't quite hold the curve as well as they thought they would. Neither my body nor my pocketbook couldn't take that kind of punishment. I didn't mind driving fast within reason, but I also knew that come Monday I would be the one paying for the indiscretion of the weekend, not my parents or my trust fund.

Some of these posts reminded me of a friend I had in my 20's He was heavily into modifying cars and one day showed off one to me (monte carlo I think?) that had a shift kit in it and of course, was built for racing. he drove me around the block almost slower than I could walk, most of the time, and when he shifted, the transmission would SLAM into gear and jerk the car. He never actually drove them the way he built them.

Back