Any Current or Previous Ford 6.0 Owners Here?

The 6.0 requires maintenance . The 6.0 is the worst or the best diesel depending on who you talk to . My 03 had 171,000 on it when I bought it . The engine is bullet proofed . Oversize turbo . SCT chipped . 4" turbo back exhaust , cat and muffler delete . EGR delete etc etc etc . I thought I overpaid for the truck when I bought , but at this point I'm feeling great about it . I've put about 6K in it after I bought it also . You need to put the correct fluids and filters in it , unless you like troubles . My truck runs like a bat out hell , will pull a house up a mountain , and sucks fuel like there's no tomorrow . 11 mpg going downhill , uphill , off a cliff , pulling , not pulling . It doesn't matter . The 4" lift and 35" tires don't really help my mileage but it looks good . The 6.0 in my opinion is the most badass sounding truck when that turbo spools up also , just flat out radical . I sound like a teenage kid , but dayumm the truck just flies . :grin:

Get yeself over on the Ford Truck Enthusiast website for any info. you could ever want . I'm mmcmdl over there as well . There is a devoted 6.0 section . Good luck on the truck ! :drool:

Once again , you know WE LIKE PICS ! :big grin:

At 190k we needed to do the oil cooler/egr, 2500 bucks.

No running issues but the water tank for cooling cracked and we noticed oil in water.

No failures but examining old parts it was simple aging of sealls that allowed some leaking of high pressure.

The PCM died at 192 k, a couple years later, we drive it not often...1600 with oil change.

If the engine is STOCK and properly maintained it should be okay.

2005 had improvements, not sure about 2004.

Ours is 2005.

There are 2 fuel filters, the one in the frame rail never gets changed, makes a difference.

If price is good, it is running well and is stock it should be good.

Get full service to be good.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

They are known for the head bolts stretching and blowing the gaskets . You can pump out 1000 HP if you want . Studding is part of the bullet proofing . If not studded , don't drive it like you stole it but the turbo has to spool once in a while . Bullet proofing is about 10K . After that is done , they'll run forever .

I owned one from 2003 until 2012. Bone stock, never had a single issue. Only towed occasionally , a fairly heavy loads of steel and pallets of sackcreet.

159K . You may be in store for some major issues coming up real soon . Check out why the guy/girl is selling it . This is about the time the injectors fail on stock engines . Maintenance records , do they have any ? There is a company down your way that specializes in these 6.0 trucks , check them out on Youtube . They bullet proof them and guarantee them for life . They sell the trucks for around 18K which isn't bad considering a new one is over $80K .

My department has 3 trucks with 6.0L engines. Here is what I know.
The pro's.
Very powerful.
Decent fuel mileage.
Easy to work on, and all chronic problems are known and there are solutions for them.
The con's.
Very expensive to repair. Anything other than a sensor will cost over $1000 to fix.
Oil leaks. Oil leaks are common, and range from massive, to just a nuisance. All 3 of the trucks that we operate have had the engines removed (which requires the cab to come off) and every gasket and seal replaced. These engines all had between 75,000 and 100,000 miles on them. They have hard use plowing, sanding, and hauling, as well as lots of idling time.
Head gaskets are very common, and not always easy to diagnose if you don't know what to look for. If the radiator cap whistles while the engine is under boost you need head gaskets.
The heads are always warped when you remove them. Ford says that only .002 - .003" can be removed to resurface them. We have taken as much as .008" and haven't had any problems.
The turbos have variable rate rotors inside of them. If all you do is gently drive around they will become carbon fouled and no longer change geometry. The turbo will have to be taken apart and cleaned.
Oil cooler and egr coolers are another common point of failure.
Sticking egr valves, and carbon clogged passages in the intake manifold are a problem.

The last negative thing that I would like ro mention is a shady practice by Ford Motor Company. When our trucks were new in 2005/2006 they made some serious power. Our one F350 pickup (the other two are F550 dumpers) felt like a muscle car and had some serious get up and go. After using it a few years, and going back to the Ford dealer for a few minor warranty issues (like they all do), we noticed that they don't have the power they had when they were new. After a bit of poking around I found out that the Ford computer updates that they would always do were de-tuning the engines to decrease power. This would help to get the engines out of warranty before the major problems that these motors are famous for occurred.
Personally, I do like 6.0L powerstroke.
They are a great motor after the common failure points are addressed.

The 6.0 requires maintenance . The 6.0 is the worst or the best diesel depending on who you talk to . My 03 had 171,000 on it when I bought it . The engine is bullet proofed . Oversize turbo . SCT chipped . 4" turbo back exhaust , cat and muffler delete . EGR delete etc etc etc . I thought I overpaid for the truck when I bought , but at this point I'm feeling great about it . I've put about 6K in it after I bought it also . You need to put the correct fluids and filters in it , unless you like troubles . My truck runs like a bat out hell , will pull a house up a mountain , and sucks fuel like there's no tomorrow . 11 mpg going downhill , uphill , off a cliff , pulling , not pulling . It doesn't matter . The 4" lift and 35" tires don't really help my mileage but it looks good . The 6.0 in my opinion is the most badass sounding truck when that turbo spools up also , just flat out radical . I sound like a teenage kid , but dayumm the truck just flies . :grin:

Get yeself over on the Ford Truck Enthusiast website for any info. you could ever want . I'm mmcmdl over there as well . There is a devoted 6.0 section . Good luck on the truck ! :drool:

Once again , you know WE LIKE PICS ! :big grin:
thanks for the lead on the website.. deff will be spending some time on it for sure

At 190k we needed to do the oil cooler/egr, 2500 bucks.

No running issues but the water tank for cooling cracked and we noticed oil in water.

No failures but examining old parts it was simple aging of sealls that allowed some leaking of high pressure.

The PCM died at 192 k, a couple years later, we drive it not often...1600 with oil change.

If the engine is STOCK and properly maintained it should be okay.

2005 had improvements, not sure about 2004.

Ours is 2005.

There are 2 fuel filters, the one in the frame rail never gets changed, makes a difference.

If price is good, it is running well and is stock it should be good.

Get full service to be good.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
yeah, didn't know about the "two fuel" filters till last night, or was early this morning.. from dieseltecron

They are known for the head bolts stretching and blowing the gaskets . You can pump out 1000 HP if you want . Studding is part of the bullet proofing . If not studded , don't drive it like you stole it but the turbo has to spool once in a while . Bullet proofing is about 10K . After that is done , they'll run forever .
from what i am learning.. "tuning, hyper performance and the such" and EGR are the leaders in head stretch. It's hilly here and will be pulling a trailer most times with it..

Back