Any home brewers around here?

Got an email from a site called Woot. They have a dfaily sale and the Mr beer premium kit is 19.99 plus 5.00 freight. I will try and copy the link here:
http://www.woot.com/sale/mr-beer-pr...e-beer-kit&utm_source=Amazon&utm_medium=email

Kinda prophetic that they have it on sale and we have been talking about it the last few days. If your interested it is a way to save about 30.00 bucks, or spend some extra on some refill kits from the start. Good luck!
Bob

I.m about to bust. What is taking UPS so darn long. You would think Portland Or is across the country from Florida or something. Sheesh. I tracked the package today and it was still enroute to Jacksonville Fl so it should arrive there tommorrow and deliver Friday with any luck. I am planning a boil on Monday and a yeast pitch in the afternoon. Then I will be Mr Impatient for at least 2 weeks before I do the condition in the bottle for at least 2 preferably 4 weeks. Don't know how I'm gonna make it. I guess I could start another batch while the first is aging in the bottle and have a batch ready about every two weeks that way. Unfortunately that sounds good, but even Mr Beer refills are not cheap. May just buy the ingredients seperate and go that way. I'm seeing a 6.5 gallon primary in the immediate future at this rate.. Ok Ok, Im hooked so kill me now.
Bob

C'mon Ed,
I need somebody as new as me doing this too. I know I can't keep up with those guys with all the experience. I have been a reading and thread following fool the last few days so I am fully prepared when everything arrives. I tried to find a local store that was listed as a dealer, but alas they have gone away due to the big box stores and nobody supporting the local hardware stores. It would have been nice to go and pick out a different mix and talk to someone who may have used that before or at least knows if they sell a lot or a little of it. I checked UPS tracking and it arrived in Jacksonville at 12:30 so it will be out for delivery tommorrow no problem. It will make the trip from Jax to Gainesville this evening and be loaded onto a delivery truck tonight. I can hardly wait, it will be like christmas morning when it arrives. Unfortunately I will have to wait till Monday to do any brewing. Dialysis is Saturday and Momma time is Sunday. SWMBO is not accustomed to being ignored on her only day we can spend together. We don't really do Christmas and Holidays, we treat each other with love and respect all year long and when we decide we want something we just get it. Makes holidays easy at my house. So jump on in and don't leave me out here all by myself.

Bob

Man that is too cool. They have everything and then some. Look around for a 5 gallon starter kit. They are about the same price as Mr beer, but shipping would have killed me. Your selection will be 100% better than Mr beer too. Or you can use the calculator and design your own and it will tell you if it will work and what the alc content and taste will be. I looked at the calculator a bit and since it is free I tinkered for a bit to see how it worked. Darn, I live out here in the boonies where we have to pump poop and sunshine most of the time, so I have to go to a nearby bigger town for any kind of shopping and even that is somewhat limited. Have fun in Midwest, I can see your trunk now...
Bob

Ed.
Yeah your up there where the white stuff piles up for long periods of time and it doesnt get warm for too long. I have been in Fla so long I couldn't survive in the cold up there. When I ran a tractor trailer I suffered in the winter when I went to the north west. But it will be good temps to lager a batch of home brew too.
Bob

Wooooo Hooooooo!!!! Package arrived at 4:30 Friday afternoon. Put it in the shop till Monday and I can play. I was really hoping it would arrive as scheduled so I could set it up on Monday while Momma is at work. She hates a mess in the kitchen and worries when I cook because she is afraid I will get burned or set the house on fire. So I just do stuff like that when she is out so I don't have a helper and she doesn't worry. It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission..... I Know.
Bob

P.S. Well I have been delayed in the first batch. I have to design and build some way to keep the temp a little better controlled. Seems the best temp is around 65 and it is currently too cold in Fla to allow ambient heating and cooling. During my research and study of the temps involved it mentions several ways to do this such as repurposing a small dorm refrig with an external temp/power control and a Blue board box with ice or warm water with a small computer fan to circulate the air. So I am learning about how to effectively control the temp before I start out on the first attempt. Any long term home brewers got a simple solution? I'm kind of leaning toward a cooler with an aquarium heater and water bath in the interim, but really would like a long term accurate solution to this issue since the summer will be here with high temps and high humidity soon enough. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Last edited:
Well, I finally got the temp controler from mainland china. It is a dual temp microcomputer PID with a thermocouple sensor and a heat and cool relay. The temp resolution is .6 degrees Centagrade so I should be able to maintain optimum temp in my small dorm sized refrigerator. I knew when I bought that little fridge it would be good for something one day. I used to keep it at work full of gatoraide and snack food for those work through lunch days we all have. So I am in search of a suitable project box and will assemble the controller in a day or two and get the first batch started soon enough. If any one needs the info on the controller LMK and I will link you to the info.
Bob

It's a done deal, got everything together and installed and boiled the first batch today. Was much easier than I had anticipated, but I had read and reread the instructions several times as well as read the PDF online by a world renowned home brewer. No surprises or issue arose during the boil or chilling and was very easy to manage the pots and pans as well as the rest of the equipment. i would give it a 5 out of 5 rating so far. As long as the final product isnt slightly reminiscent of moose urine the it will be 5 for 5 all the way.. I allowed additional time for the sanitizer to fully sanitize the inside of the fermentor and all of the tools I used to boil the batch. Set up was easy, boil 4 cups of water, add booster and stir like crazy till disolved without scorching. Turn off heat and add prewarmed liquid malt extract and stir thouroughly till completely mixed (your arm will get tired). While you were sanitizing you should have poured your yeasties into a cup of warm water and a bit of sugar to get them awakened and hungry. Pour them in, stir vigoursly add cap and place in temp controlled area for 2 to 3 weeks (the longer the better, one week isnt enough). In two to three weeks I will bottle it to one liter bottles and allow them to condition in the bottles for a good bit longer before I refridgerate and drink. All in all a thumbs up day enjoying some simple pleasures and exploring a new hobby. Hope this help anyone on the fence to decide to give it a try. I already bought the upgrade fermentor so I can do 5 gallon batches next. It's a blast so far.
Bob

Ed and Tom,
Looked at the fermentor today and it is still bubbling a bit so I am going to leave it on the yeast cake for another week and see if that wont mellow it a bit. The rest of the plan is unchanged on bottling and conditioning. Sure wish you guys would come on and jump in so I am not going this alone. So far it has been a good aside and pretty relaxing. It is like crack though, once you get a taste you want more and more. C'mon guys, jump in and help me out here.
Bob

Last edited:
The primary fermentation should be pretty much done after the first week. I normally leave mine alone for two weeks total. When it's bottled, it'll take another week to fully carbonate and at least a week more to condition, more for heavier beers. It's hard to wait that long though, I usually sample it after a week just to be sure. :))

I have a batch of Porter that took a full two months to stabilize and have had stouts that continued to improve after more than a year. There is one last bottle in the fridge from a batch I made six years ago waiting for just the right occasion.

Tom

Back