Any scuba divers here?

I had a barracuda in the 30-40lb range take a big interest in me snorkeling once. The sun was behind it, and every time I turned my head to keep an eye on him, he charged. The mask lens was glinting from the sun, it must have looked like a bait fish.

the deep commercial dive I have made was 780 feet off Hawaii
more o a bounce dive.
support diver for Makai Undersea Research
lots of fun with that outfit

Robot suit, what mix are they using now?

PADI certified in 1980. All in fresh water. Did most diving in the St. Claire river near Port Huron Michigan. In fresh water there is lots of silt near the bottom and water is not that clear. But with fast moving rivers pointing upstream the silt all washes past and the look upstream is clear. Lot of large fish come along side because we stir up lot of food like crayfish for them to eat. Came upon many large rocks covered in fishing lures. Dove just under the Blue Water Bridge where Lake Huron empties into the river. There is a shipwreck at the bottom there. Current so strong it can push your mask off if you are not careful.

No diving in many years now though.

Rutgers required a GYM CLASS elective when I was there in the early 80's. Scuba was an option.
I only had to pay for the certification dives and 1st was at Dutch Valley.
The 2nd was off Atlantic City, NJ on wrecks.
Lot of FUN since then.

Attachments

• Fish3.jpg
    Fish3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Me1 (2).jpg
    Me1 (2).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Shark.jpg
    Shark.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 5
Certified PADI Open Water Diver 1979, VI Divers, St Croix, US Virgin Islands. I was living there for a couple of years rebuilding two 6000bhp Enterprise diesel engines in the islands power plant.

That was some of the most beautiful water I have ever been in. Visaility was between 80-150 feet. Surface temp 80 degrees. Water was so clear it was nearly impossible to gauge depth from the deck of a boat. You could see the bottom at 50 plus feet as clearly as you can see the bottom at 1 foot. Did a lot of night dives with my crew. Maybe 3-4 times a week. Beach dives were awesome, waves are only 1 foot tall. After all, you are on the top of a mountain in the middle of the ocean. Water was only 60 feet deep up to 300 yards off the beach, then straight down to a couple of thousand fathoms.

Somehow, when I returned to the states, the thought of getting into the cold ocean around Monterey California just didn't appeal to me.

Certified PADI Open Water Diver 1979, VI Divers, St Croix, US Virgin Islands. I was living there for a couple of years rebuilding two 6000bhp Enterprise diesel engines in the islands power plant.

That was some of the most beautiful water I have ever been in. Visaility was between 80-150 feet. Surface temp 80 degrees. Water was so clear it was nearly impossible to gauge depth from the deck of a boat. You could see the bottom at 50 plus feet as clearly as you can see the bottom at 1 foot. Did a lot of night dives with my crew. Maybe 3-4 times a week. Beach dives were awesome, waves are only 1 foot tall. After all, you are on the top of a mountain in the middle of the ocean. Water was only 60 feet deep up to 300 yards off the beach, then straight down to a couple of thousand fathoms.

Somehow, when I returned to the states, the thought of getting into the cold ocean around Monterey California just didn't appeal to me.
going from 5 feet to 150+ feet visibility is awesome. you could see the whole reef going down the beach and all of the fish.

Saw a puffer fish in 4 feet of water. He is a foot long and 8 inches wide, without his spikes being puffed up. Only did snorkeling so far. Want to catch it but don’t know how poisonous they are and if any one here knows how to cook one.

Puffer fish ("Fugo" in Japan) are a delicacy in Japan but because some parts of their internals carry a very strong poison, only certified handlers are allowed to process them to prevent contaminating the meat. The facilities and the chefs are highly controlled by law. Only chefs that have who have qualified after three or more years of rigorous training are allowed to prepare the fish.

Better to enjoy watching them. I have spend a lot of time in Japan for work. Love Sashimi but have never had he desire to try puffer fish.

Back