ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO MAKE BOXES ?

Bob,
I'd like to know where you found that hardware for those cases. Nice work!

Hinges, latches and corners from rockler. The front toggle lock from Hardware Elf. Everything else I made/fabricated myself. Everything is available from H. Gerstner at eye popping prices................Bob

Hinges, latches and corners from rockler. The front toggle lock from Hardware Elf. Everything else I made/fabricated myself. Everything is available from H. Gerstner at eye popping prices................Bob

The toggle lock is what I particularly found elusive. Thanks. Yes, Gerstner is not shy about their pricing. :)

On this general topic - Are there any woods that should not be used to store tools? I ask that way because
I'm thinking that list is smaller that what can be used.

Thanks,

I've heard that oak promotes rust but then Gerstner has used white oak for ever.......................Bob

Very nice boxes for very nice tools!

I once decided to build a 2-bit box for couple of penny tools. Not sure why. Maybe because they measure just as well, but now have that "feel better" sense.

View attachment 269047

View attachment 269046
That is the same Pittsburgh caliper that I bought two of about 5 years ago for $7.50 each on sale with 25% discount coupons and also got a freebie with each one using other coupons. The calipers came with 2 batteries each. I am still using the first one, with the first original battery, multiple times almost every day, without any issues whatsoever. The second battery is still new in the box. It does everything I want it to do, couldn't ask for more in a digital caliper. Well, absolute measuring would make startup a bit easier, but having to zero it forces me to wipe clean the jaws of any dirt, swarf, or grit, and that is a good thing. When it fails it will go in the trash with a big "thank you" and I will move to the second one. It is no doubt the most often used tool I have ever owned, and I started collecting tools well before 1970, and still have just about all of them.

The box is gorgeous, an excellent job, but might be a bit like putting lipstick on a pig... ;) Still, tools that are cared for tend to last a very long time, regardless of cost. Tools that are abused tend to find an early grave, regardless of cost.

Does an ugly, but utilitarian, storage box for my 24" CI Straight Edge count? Snapshot - 6.png
Sorry about the image quality, I pulled it from one of my videos. I make lots of boxes like this but mostly for other people.
Here's one for an aeronautical instrument we made for a friend. Designed to look "Old School". IMG_20170805_212355848.jpgIMG_20170805_212131508.jpg
Mark

Nothing like you have but I needed a quick box for my bigger bitsBig bits.JPG.
Milled from one block of wood...

Back