Arbor press stand - general recommendations?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Have a 3T arbor press that I need to make a stand for. Just started thinking about it. This press is a relative light weight, only about 125 lbs. Any general recommendations on size and height? Is waist level ok for the surface that the press sits on? Higher? Lower? How far back does the stand need to go past the back? Do you need a counterweight of some sort in the rear to avoid tipping? I don't have very much room in my shop, so I need to make it compact, but resistant to tipping. Yes, there's conflict there.

Initial thoughts are a 1/4" plate to bolt to, roughly 10" x 20", and either angle iron or square tube frame. Will probably MIG the stand together. Suggestions or insights sought.

I brought that stainless stand home with me Wobbly that we had talked about . Next time up north I'll drag it along for scrap ! :)

How big is it? L x W x H? Will be in your general area the first week of July. Don't know if the timing is right for you. Probably better to take this as a PM.

How big is it? L x W x H? Will be in your general area the first week of July. Don't know if the timing is right for you. Probably better to take this as a PM.
I'll be here . I'll send you a pic thru pm also . The 3 ton Greenerd press was mounted on this stand so it's what it was made for . You are always more than than welcome to come see my junk . ( that didn't sound right ) :grin:

I'll be here . I'll send you a pic thru pm also . The 3 ton Greenerd press was mounted on this stand so it's what it was made for . You are always more than than welcome to come see my junk . ( that didn't sound right ) :grin:
No that didn't sound right at all! :laughing:
If this works out, (I expect it should,) it saves me from having to fab a stand.

Found a piece of 1/4" plate hiding in the garage, 1' x 4', but I'm missing a stick or two of the square stock. Only have a single stick of square stock left, not enough to even make all the legs.

20220505_115032.jpg

The trick is to remove the collar on the gear so you can slip it out of the rack and slide it back in the right position so you are always pulling down instead of pushing against the table. I cut a slot so I can press keyway broaches and longer stuff.

I tension the rack so it moves easily but doesn't fall on its own.

Stand . I went thru the garage 5 times looking for this before I remembered I took it down the other house . Anyway , it's stainless , 28" wide 22" deep and 32" high . Here is the press that was on it .

My son is in charge of scrap and is chomping at the bit to get to the recycler . Let me know if you can use it soon . :grin:

Cooler and flower pots not included ( unless you really need them ) :)

Attachments

• IMG_9308.JPG
    IMG_9308.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9309.JPG
    IMG_9309.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9310.JPG
    IMG_9310.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9311.JPG
    IMG_9311.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 18
Stand . I went thru the garage 5 times looking for this before I remembered I took it down the other house . Anyway , it's stainless , 28" wide 22" deep and 32" high . Here is the press that was on it .

My son is in charge of scrap and is chomping at the bit to get to the recycler . Let me know if you can use it soon . :grin:

Cooler and flower pots not included ( unless you really need them ) :)
I can use it! Thanks for the dimensions. That will be no problem to bring home. You have PM.

Back