Arbor Press

I have a 3 ton ratchet type from Enco, I think MSC still sells it. About $200. I waited for a sale and free shipping so mine was less than $150 picked up at the freight terminal. Not as refined as the above mentioned but it works well. Mine will handle most broaches up to 1/2". Having used smaller ones the 3 ton is the smallest I would have but it is a good size for a garage shop.

I got a 3 ton and found the handle was always in the wrong position, milled off three teeth off bottom of ram , now I can have the handle at the right position when needed.
I did the same mod on mine. Much more user friendly now.

I was thinking 1-1.5 ton.
I was looking at a Dake but of course they are expensive.
I'll checkout CL.
Don't know your location but I just saw a Greenerd on cl in Granberry, Tx for $40.

What do you all mount your arbor presses on? Bolt it on the workbench and cut a hole beneath for long work? Would a small stand like this work?1519344183830.png

I have mine just sitting on the top of a heavy cabinet. Old school made out of heavy gauge metal with pull out drawers. Full of MT drills, hammers, c -clamps etc. Weighs an easy 400 pounds. The bench top is 38 inches from the floor. Works fine for most stuff. For long shafts I just slide the press toward the front edge of the cabinet until the shaft clears. I've thought about bolting it down but have not needed to.
The tool stand pictured above is too short in my opinion and not nearly heavy enough.

Space is tight in my shop so I made a simple one from 1/4" x 2" angle iron and bolted to the wall. The stand or base should be firmly secured to prevent over turning.

20180225_120924.png 20180225_120935.png

So far nothing has turned up locally. Might have to take a look at MSC.

Back