ARC-170's Craftsman 101.07403 lathe restoration thread

I don't think I would drill any extra holes in the green lathe motor mount. If it is at all possible I would drill a hole in the gray motor mount. If the gray plate is long enough to cover the hole already in the green lathe motor mount drill the gray and bolt it down.

38. Gear Guard.

The early production and model Atlas 10" and Craftsman 12" had no belt covers and no gear guards. The two gear guards appeared circa 1936. The other gear guard covered the bull gear and small back gear. The belt guards appeared and the gear guards were dropped on the 10F when equipped with the horizontal countershaft, although it appears that it took a while longer for the tapped mounting holes in the top rim of the headstock to disappear. The belt guard appeared on the Craftsman machines with the 1937 intro of the Deluxe model, 101.07400. And a slightly different one was supplied on the babbit bearing 101.07383 and 101.07363 in 1939. In any case, you don't need the one gear guard that you found.

39. Side Guard

The motor belt is supposed to be a 4L350. Is the link belt that you put on the machine 35" long?

39. SIDE GUARD (CON'T)
The belt is about 35" long. I could maybe make it shorter; there is more room a little higher up. I think the motor is a replacement and the shaft on it is longer and the mounting base is different, hence it not fitting. This didn't come with the doors, so it wasn't an issue before.

Here is the location and approximate amount I would need to cut out of the motor base. I'm mostly concerned that there may not be enough metal for the bolt to hold on to. The other two bolts are fine. Thoughts?
cut out for bolt on base.jpg

40. BELT COVER TAB FUNCTION
What does this tab do? It appears to be some sort of stop, but it doesn't actually hit anything.
tab on door.jpg

Here's a shot of it closed. Note the gap.
lathe door tab.jpg

41. BELT COVER DOOR ALIGNMENT
The door doesn't align as shown. I thought I might grind it down so the gap is even, or at least grind down the portion on the upper right so it doesn't hit the other door. The hinge pin seems a little loose, so maybe I should get one that fits tighter. Does this look right to anyone else who has this machine? I thinking the donor lathe (which the door was taken from) might be slightly different, even though both lathes are the exact same model and everything else is the same. I could also leave it as is. I might need to adjust some other components it's attached to, but I thought I'd ask in the meantime.
lathe door alignment.jpg

40. BELT COVER TAB FUNCTION I believe that is supposed to be the L6-730 door latch. But it looks as though someone started to make one and didn't finish it. It should have a "V" bent into it near the loose end. Look at file page 4 of Craftsman Lathe 12 101-07403 12X18-36 Illus Parts Rev8 in Downloads for a drawing of what it should look like and of approximately how it should be oriented.

40. BELT COVER TAB FUNCTION I believe that is supposed to be the L6-730 door latch. But it looks as though someone started to make one and didn't finish it. It should have a "V" bent into it near the loose end. Look at file page 4 of Craftsman Lathe 12 101-07403 12X18-36 Illus Parts Rev8 in Downloads for a drawing of what it should look like and of approximately how it should be oriented.

The L6-730 is the one farther down on the bottom (I looked on the parts diagram to confirm). The one I'm referencing is molded as part of the door. It's hard to get a good picture since there is so much in the way.

If you think about it, take a photo of the inside of the opened door. I have always suspected that the drawing in the parts manual is wrong. But I have no idea what it is there for. The parts manual offers no clue.

If you think about it, take a photo of the inside of the opened door. I have always suspected that the drawing in the parts manual is wrong. But I have no idea what it is there for. The parts manual offers no clue.

There is a picture in post #134, second image. Would you like another one from a different angle?
The drawing in the parts manual I have looks the same.
Not sure if this is important, but my door appears to be aluminum. It's way too light to be iron..

42. MOUNTING THE LATHE
I'm ready to mount the lathe to a workbench I bought. I'd like to place it against a wall so i'd like the lathe flush with the back. This means it won't be in the middle of the table. Anyone see any issues with this? The table is very stable, just thought I'd ask.
IMG_20190528_190611382.jpg
End view. Motor is flush with the back of the table top.

IMG_20190528_190540896.jpg
Front view. I want to have minimal overhang when the belt cover doors open.

Unless it's actually painted steel plate, you need to double or triple the bench top thickness.

Back