Are you a mill type machinist or a lathe type machinist.

Are you a mill machinist or a lathe machinist.

• Total voters
Just depends on the task at hand. I dont go to a mill when i can do the job in a lathe. So i suppose i prefer the lathe.

Yes !

I like all three, have a lot of hobby experience on a lathe and enjoy the learning experinces on the mill. Still learning about legs.

Ray

I say lathe... My biggest complaint on mills is the hot chips that it spits out. Much nicer with the lathe.

I honestly like both but if I had my pick it would be the mill. To me it seems more challenging but then that is just me. The other factor is my son doesn't normally let me have lathe time. :nono:

Ed

I can make money faster on a lathe job. Obviously,both types of machines are essential and I love them all.

Another butt man, have always been fond of women with a butt like 2 pumpkins in a potato sack.
Regards.

I personally use both equally at this point, but think I'm better (more efficient) on a mill as I'm more experienced on it. I do love the lathe though, and appreciate witching and learning everyday from others that master it.

Dave

Went for years without a mill. As a result, I learned to look at jobs from the perspective of what could be done with a lathe. Now that I have a mill, I am slowly starting to realize there is a new world opening to me and I like that. Still, I seem to see jobs from the perspective of the lathe. But like? Like them both. It seems like the mill setups take FOREVER and the machining time is small. Lathe is the opposite. Maybe as I gain proficiency on the mill that will change.

Bill

Both! Learned mill and lathe at the same time. Now, I am a manual machinist rather than a CNC machinist.

Well guys,
I guess the lathe i find the pleasantest machine tool to work, On two counts The first being The lathe is "The king of machine tools" & the second being the lathe is the machine tool i first had the pleasure to operate when i was a youngster coupled to those aforementioned facts, watching the cuttings spiralling off & the workpiece developing into the shape or configuration i desire, Is pure therapy I sure guess the Lord has blest me with four nice lathe from a nice little Boley & Leinen up to a big toolroom 8" centre height Holbrook

after that for an enjoyable machining experience I would say operating a 6" stroke slotting machine i own also. (to our brothers over the pond from here a vertical shaper) This also along with my shaping machines i find peaceful, the ram of the shapers & big slot rythmically peeling of the cuttings is pure relaxation The same goes for a little hand operated double column planing machine seeing the workpiece developing a really nice silvery ,accurate finish, & knowing that such a workpiece is being manufactured by hand power, puts me in unison with the engineering brethren of two hundred years ago, the ancient old pioneers in the great works of Maudsley Sons &
Field of Lambeth in London, where the screwcutting lathe, planer , shaper, & slotting machine were born.

When it comes to milling I find it a means to an end, fascinating though it may be Except for a pretty little instrument mill i own, the bigger mill does not "float my boat" I find operating it a chore & a messy one at that Maybe because i do not like the make of mill i own ! Where i worked at one period, we had a big Milwaukie Now that was a pleasure to operate effortless production engineering

Nobody has mentioned their drilling machine , A nice thing to operate & where would we be without them, Back to the primitive stone age? & do not forget the best skill of all, being able to saw file & scrape accurately.

Back