At least there's no wind !

The first time I remember ever seeing snow when I was a kid. Dad drove us up north near Frazier park cause that was the closest snow to us. Jumped out the car & was so happy to play in the snow. Had no gloves though. Not long after my hands were frozen & I was over it, never wanted to play in the snow again! :D

I remember in 1969, I had just come out of Viet Nam and was sent to my next duty station in Kansas. Walked into the worst blizzard in the state's history. I had only short sleeved tropical uniforms and had to be at work at 7am. I had to walk about a half mile from the barracks to my work place in the snow and it was freaking cold! Talk about a frozen Pineapple Popsicle! My first sergeant took me right over to supply for a parka and cold weather gear, stuck me in front of a gas engine heating unit and fed me hot coffee until I turned my normal color. After I thawed out I began to speak, which is good because they were beginning to think I was autistic or something.

You see, Hawaii boys are smart. We have seen snow, we have skied on snow and we have thrown snowballs like every one else BUT we do not live in a place with snow in it. Sunshine, green everything and blue water - that's where Hawaii boys live.

On a calm dark night in a small prairie town, big flakes just drifting lazily down onto your face, it can be pretty magical. It’s really quiet. My mom used to love it, she took us kids tobogganing at midnight once on the way home from a movie. I’m sure my dad thought she was crazy, we had the best time for sure screaming down the derby hill at one o’clock in the morning....

Very true . Nothing like sitting around a large firepit whilst it is lazily snowing . The kids used to sled down the back yards into the wee hours of the night . I've been up the property before when it was snowing . That is not lazy snow , that is " white death " up there ! :eek 2:

Well, you guys are a bunch of wusses. It's a bone chilling 43º F here as I type. Houston winters are brutal! I may have to break out my wool lined Bermudas. :p

Tom

We had a light snow the other night so I elected to shovel by hand rather than firing up the tractor and plowing. After all, 2" isn't that bad. I did a little math. The driveway is about 5000 sq.ft. 5000 x 2/12 = 833 cu. ft. and 833 cu. ft. /27 cu. ft./ cu. yd. is 31 yard of snow 2which is the equivalent of two dump trucks. Who needs a gym membership?

But the snow is over for a while. Clear nights and Arctic air brought on -16ºF, our coldest night of the season yesterday. Next snow; Monday. Wisconsin winters! :beer mugs:

Well, you guys are a bunch of wusses. It's a bone chilling 43º F here as I type. Houston winters are brutal! I may have to break out my wool lined Bermudas. :p

Tom
At least I don't need water wings to walk to the mailbox.:laughing:

I'm a little further north then mmcmdl , it was 10*f this morning 18*f now , wife was in the shower and yelled " there's no water !!! " we have a pump house about 6x6 with the well controls , bladder tank about 2' below grade the electric heater that wasn't running !! Wasn't sure if the thermostat went bad because I turned it up and it came on , put another one in and stated troubleshooting tested voltages , problem is at the pressure switch so either the little line going up to it is frozen ( most likely ) or a bad switch , pushing the override button filled the bladder tank for now , I'll check it again later

Only -10 C and warming up with a south wind. Been a weird winter as November and now has been the coldest and not much snow since November. Motorcycles were out in December and January when the rain washed the salt off the roads.

Attachments

• E6A330FF-EEE0-464D-A321-6E25A9DB5AB7.png
    E6A330FF-EEE0-464D-A321-6E25A9DB5AB7.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 2
You know NC is not the coldest climate, but my crazy-ass whitewater kayak friends paddle all year. They have had to break the ice on shore to get boats in the water!

1581776691012.png
No, I am not in that pic!!!
Robert

Last edited:
Back