Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

You guys have any info regarding the date of an Atlas V54 looks like S/N: is 025169. I have a '42 -ish TH48 and got this one (in a box) for free. Seems to have a lot fewer hours than mine so I feel it shouldn't be used for parts. Original owner used it for gun-smithing, was well cared for. Last guy disassembled it. Just have to see if it's all there. Waiting for the guy to find the rest of it.

Guesstimate would be mid-1941. If the babbit bearings are still good and have some shims left,, use them. If not, swap headstocks.

You're welcome. BTW, if you click on your User ID near the right end of the main tool bar, you will be in your Account. Among other things, you can set up your signature so that it is automatically appended to each post. And if you care to do it, that is also where you put your brag list. I forget the details but there are limits to characters and lines, which are spelled out in the chart that appears if you click on the Donations tab in the main tool bar.

Hello, I recently acquired an Atlas 618. It will make a nice companion to my Craftsman 12" which I restored a few years ago. I plan to restore the 618 after I finish a few other projects. The serial number on the 618 is 5666. Any idea when this was made.

Also, not sure if I ever logged my Craftsman 12", do I do that here also.

To answer your last question first, by default, this is the accepted thread in which to report new (to you) machines, serial numbers, bed lengths, etc. Although there are plenty of examples to the contrary, there should be only a few posts here regarding a single machine., Questions about it and the restoration tale belong in the regular A/C threads.

If you aren't certain whether or not you reported your 12", just post the serial number, model number and bed length (only the 10" include the bed length in the model number). I'll let you know whether or not it was reported.

Back to your new to you 618, unfortunately neither Atlas nor Timken ever engraved the bearing inspection dates on the bearings in the 6" lathes, mills or shapers. So absent any other info (such as original invoice, Grandpa's memory, etc), all that we can do about dating those machines is an educated guess assuming Summer of 1936 to Summer of 1973 as the span of production for the 612 and 618, constant production rates and something more than the highest known serial number (currently 27421) for the total production. Anyway, subject to those caveat's, your 618 would have been made around July of 1944.

@wa5cab
Thanks for the help, I had time to take everything apart this week and remove the grease zerks. So Model# 101.07402, Serial # 1538 S (it's very faint). I looked at the cups/bearings and I don't see a date. I'm guessing whoever installed the grease zerks replaced them.
The cups 16284 - B ; 14276 - B
The bearings 16150 ; 14125

Any guidance if the cups/bearings should be replaced? They feel smooth now that the grease is out of them I think. The grease wasn't dried. The headstock spindle does have 3 pretty noticeable grooves wore into it though.

Attachments

• 20211204_155759.jpg
    20211204_155759.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220221_130932.jpg
    20220221_130932.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
@Atempt,

WRT the wear marks, I don't know about the left most (in the photo). The other two are probably from the bushings in the ID of the cone pulley and the small spindle back gear. I wouldn't worry about them. But as you have the spindle out, I would replace the three bushings.

What is that ring between the spindle flange and the bearing?

Absence of a date engraved in the cup and cone is because Atlas or Timken did not start doing that until about late 1939 after the 101.07403 came out. I would examine the bearing cups and cones and if they don't show any significant wear, probably not replace them. It would have been probably better had you adjusted them and checked the runout before pulling the spindle. You could reinstall the spindle and two bearings without reinstalling the pulley and back gears. But you will have to pull them again regardless of whether or not you decide to replace them.

i am trying to put into service (restore) a craftsman lathe that has been in the back corner of my shop for over 20 years.
Craftsman lathe Atlas
Model 101-27440
Serial # 12L -038132
12 x 36
Grey, QCGB with wasp waist knobs
Steady rest, dead center, Jacobs chuck for tail stock
the handle for the split nut is broken off flush with the surface of the apron and missing. the rest of the unit appears in good shape. i am new to the forum and tried to download the parts manual without success. (no permissions for downloads). looking for part numbers for the handle and scroll. how can i get access to the parts manual?
Ricksplit_nut_handle.jpg

also, the bed is 3/8" and 46 inches long. don't know the year of manufacture or the history before i bought it about 21 years ago.
Rick

Back