Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

OK. Did you once live in Clarkston, WA? If you did not, then the #3873 machine listed in the database online is not your machine. I haven't uploaded a revision in several weeks. This I think is the first time this actually happened in our database but the stupid people at Sears apparently insisted upon a new serial number block starting over at "1" every time that the model number changed. So, assuming that Sears bought at least 3873 of each of the 12 different models of 3/8" bed 12" machines, there are or were 12 12" machines with each serial number.

So before I go any farther, answer that question about Clarkston. And also, give me the bed length or the rated distance between centers.

On the color issue, in the 1930's and 1940's, Sears used various shades of blue, red, green and one year gold for the color of the 12" machines that Atlas built and Sears sold. The Atlas 9" and 10" were up until 1957, always dark machinery gray. I don't know for certain when Sears changed to gray but had always assumed that it was in 1957. But you say that you have a 3/8" bed 12" headstock that is gray so I guess I need to add color to the database. And AFAIK, the 1/2" bed 12" regardless of whether Sears or Atlas were always machinery gray (not dark machinery gray).

I bought the machine from a guy in Clarkston a few years back. I am across the river in Lewiston ID. He had updated to a craftsman commercial and listed this one on craigslist, and my lathe addiction/affliction started there. He said he had rebuilt and repainted it the same color, and it is in pretty good shape for the age. I am sure it was all original before I started messing with things. The bed is 54" long.

The headstock I got has been painted I am pretty sure because it is too perfect otherwise and lacking an imprint from the back gear mounting, so color may not be actual. Or did I really end up with a 1/2" headstock? I asked the seller before purchase if it would work on my 07380 and he replied that it would bolt right on. Is there a number on the headstock somewhere that will ID it?

Well, that was a third possibility that I had forgotten all about (same lathe new owner). So the lathe that you have is the one with serial # 3873 that was already in the database but with a new owner and location. And soon to have a new headstock. And the database entry that you have is probably current to when you bought it.

If you happen to know or lacking that can get in touch with the guy across the river, find out whether he is a member here or of the groups.io Atlas-Craftsman group and send me that plus his user ID (or email address). I will update the entry in the database for what you have done or will be doing to the machine, upload the revised database and post a message that a revision has been uploaded.

On the question as to what kind of headstock you have, yes, the part number is in the casting, at least for the 3/8" bed ones. The headstock part number for the babbit bearing 101.07381 should be L4-2A. For the Timken bearing 101.07401 should be L4-2T. For the 101.07403 should be L4-2TA. At least that is what the parts lists that I have show. The difference between the L4-2T and the L4-2TA should be the shape of the motor switch opening, either oval or rectangular. The part number for the 1/2" bed head stocks should be 383-003 for all models from late 1957 on. I don't know whether you can put a 1/2" bed headstock onto a 3/8" bed or not. And if you can, I don't know whether the spindle will be the same height as the tailstock or not. I would guess that it would probably fit but that the casting might stick down too far to clamp to the bed.

I have not kept in touch with the guy I bought it from, I do not know his name or anything more. I imagine he was a member to land in your database. I do remember him telling me the guy he bought it from had used it for wood and that is why he took it apart to clean it up and subsequently repainted.

The headstock I have purchased is a L4-2TA. It was listed as a L4-27A on the ebay ad but I have confirmed the "T" and assume he misread it. It has a square switch hole opposed to my oval one. So it appears to be from a 101.07403 which should fit from all I have read and heard. That is a relief and when I get the time I will install it. If I do pull it apart to inspect it I will report the bearing dates. Looking at your database that I have downloaded the 101.07403 was a popular model with dates shown in the DB from 1939 to 1956.

Also discovered more columns in the database that contain more info yet. Your note says you decided it was a 101.07381 . I have confirmed the tag reads 101.07380. It came to me with all the items you had listed except the drill press. I have added a milling attachment since, in addition to the QCGB and and power crossfeed, and soon to be installed timken headstock

Last edited:
OK. The guy in WA could be an H-M member but he could also be an atlas-craftsman@groups.io member or have been an atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups member. Including already being in the database when I took over the care and feeding of it 20+ years ago. But it isn't really important since he no longer has the machine.

But I have another question for you. Atlas had an early and a late set of bed legs. The early ones were rectangular or nearly square, interchangeable and symmetrical. The later ones that at least according to the photos in the Power Tools catalogs came out in 1938 were wider, only went on one way, and viewed from the side leaned toward the center of the bed. Which type do you have?

Except for the 101.07383 which was made from 1938 through 1945, the other early models were all made for only one or two years, The 101.07403 was made from about 1940 until mid 1957 (catalog years). So there are more of them around than of any of the earlier ones. They also did not make a version of it that did not have back gears.

I think they must be the later legs, they are not interchangeable that I can see, and they do taper to the bed. I will send a photo for reference. I have set the headstock I intend to install on the bed. It looks like it will be a pretty direct fit. Also a photo of the serial number and ID tag, and the shop they are in. Please excuse the mess we are currently reorganizing the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0938.JPG
    IMG_0938.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 39
No, those are the early symmetrical legs. The later legs are wider and obviously assymetrical left to right.

The blue is the same as or very similar to one of the early Craftsman colors. The gray looks like the machinery gray used on the later 12" 1/2" bed ways machines. Atlas may have changed to it in the early 1950's but it is difficult to say for certain as catalog photos are mostly B&W.

Color might be a good addition to your database just to get a better picture of what was made, but would be hard to update all old entries, future ones would show a trend I am sure.. I think my lathe was originally blue as shown. The apron's origin I do not know as it was an ebay purchase that didn't specify what machine it came from, though I think the color is original. The QCGB as near as I can tell from a posting on this site describing the different QCGB models is off of the later 3000 series he called it, distinguished by the out put clutch. I believe it's color is original too. The gear cover that I found to fit around it best came from another ebay purchase and labeled as fitting a Craftsman commercial lathe. I had to fabricate a hinge for it, and I believe it's color is original. My new headstock is a random color I think as it has obviously been repainted.

My whole lathe is getting the patchwork look to it, but I don't care as long as it functions well. So far each improvement has been just that, an improvement. After the headstock I think I will be at the end of the upgrades I can do, other than a taper attachment though I don't foresee a need for one for my uses. I could always make one as a mill project if I run out of things to do and have the time.

OK. I added a Color field to the database which will appear in the online copy next time that I do an upload. But I think that you are correct that any concerted effort to go back and fill in the field would likely be a waste of time. There are over 800 records in the file, of which probably over 700 are either Atlas or Craftsman lathes. It is highly likely, given the number of years represented. The ADMIN field at the right end of the .DBF fo;e is either the date that the record was added or in a few instances the date of revision. Anyway, the majority of the records are dated Feb 02, 2015. However, I had been maintaining a data file for an unknown number of years before that using a data file that Yahoo provided. And I have no way to find out who started it or when. Anyway, I there is a good chance that many of the owners are now dead or no longer have the machines listed. Trying to find out what the as-found color was in most cases would be an exercise in futility.

Success! Headstock installed. Less than 1/2 thousandth lateral play at the spindle, as opposed to near 5 thou with the babbit head. Cleaned cross slide and compound and adjusted gibbs while I was about it. 650 RPM .004 feed rate. .005 depth, brazed carbide tool on test cut on drill rod. Less than .001" taper on roughly 6" cut, good surface finish. I can live with that, since it is only double the spindle play and no spring cut. Don't know if I dare get the headstock preload tighter.

Drilled and milled recesses to install 4 ball oilers on cross slide while I had it off. Was hard to know if oil had penetrated the cross slide into the ways before. Now I can see oil being forced out when oiling the ball oilers which makes me feel much relieved to know there is oil getting in there.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 16
Back