Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been trying to come up with a believable explanation for why the serial number does not jive with the model number. If you refer to the parts manuals in Downloads (or to the poorer copies on Vintage Machinery since access to Downloads requires Donor status), you will find that the nearest model number that almost matches the machine in the photographs is 101.28990. This is actually the one that you want as most of what Sears sold was described as less motor. I am 99% sure that 101.28991 means a 101.28990 that came with the motor. Which explains that. Unfortunately, out of 824 total entries in the Atlas Machines database, the only other 101.28991 that we have listed is one of the 70 or so carry-overs from back when I originally reorganized the database on Yahoo about a decade ago. However, ...

The 1/2" bed 12" swing lathes that replaced the Atlas 10" and Craftsman 12" lathes with 3/8" beds in mid 1957 appear to have had serial numbers starting over at '1'. The new Craftsman badged and Atlas badged machines were the same except for the names on the badges, plates or decals. And AFAIK, they each had there own serial number block. So there should if we had enough entries been some cases where the Atlas and the Craftsman machines had the same serial number. Unfortunately, aside from some cases where for example a mill and a lathe had the same serial numbers, we don't have any entries where the serial numbers of two lathes are the same except for one case where a 10" QC lathe was originally entered by one member who later sold it to another member so it technically got entered twice. But we don't have any cases where two lathes with different model numbers have the same serial number. So my conclusion about the serial numbers blocks remains an assumption.

The Atlas and the Craftsman 1/2" bed 12" machines were made from mid-1957 until mid 1966 (I think). The cabinet model 12x36 looked pretty much like the final version 12" except that it had the same right lead screw bearing, lead screw and rotating knob to pull out to engage power cross feed as was used on the 10" and earlier 12". And the QCGB or the change gears were almost the same as on the early 12" except that there were minor differences in how the QCGB mounted to the bed and headstock. So some part numbers are different.

In mid-1966, the final versions of the 12" were introduced. And the first serial number for both Atlas and Craftsman was apparently 100001. The right lead screw bearing was changed to a 2-piece steel assembly that was definitely not frangible and needle thrust bearings were added. The lead screw was shortened slightly, the QCGB output shaft was lengthened slightly, the 5/8" hole eliminated and the OD reduced to 3/4" and, a 1.0 lb-ft slip clutch was added. The knob on the end of the power cross feed shaft was replaced by a lever assembly. And one QCGB mounting screw and holes for it was added inside the headstock.

However, assuming that your father did not convert an early 1/2" bed model to a late version (and the model number indicates that he didn't), the machine was made in late 1966 or early 1967. And got a wrong serial number.

Wow, interesting how this runs thru such a twisted path! Thank you for the reply and we do have the manual so when I get back there I'll see if I can narrow it down. Appreciate the feedback. Have a great weekend! Thanks.

Yeah. If he is still with us, you should ask your father if he remembers or has some way to determine when or about when he actually bought it. But I can think of only two reasons for the what I will call for the time being the incorrect serial number.

(1) Atlas (or Sears) initially just started the serial numbers over at "000001" and made an unknown number of lathes before they changed to the way that at least 51 examples are (started over at "100001").

(2) Someone screwed up and stamped the serial number as "000737" instead of "100737" as it should have been. And went ahead and used the plate instead of scrapping it as they should have done.

There are also 17 examples not counting your Father's of serial numbers that begin with "0", all of which agree with their early model numbers.

So unless more examples turn up of late model number lathes with S/N beginning with "0" instead of "1", I am going to assume that it was a mistake and that the S/N should have been "100737".

Also, unless the MOLO (Manual Of Lathe Operation) didn't come with the lathe, post the year that will be on the MOLO's Copyright page.

Just picked up this Atlas TV36 as part of a donation to Tuckahoe Steam & Gas. The prior owner added 3-1/2" riser blocks! He was doing wood bowl turning on it. The gear train is missing a gear or gears. Can someone tell me what is missing? Or send me a picture?

Attachments

• 0929212203.jpg
    0929212203.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 0928211846.jpg
    0928211846.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 0928211825_HDR.jpg
    0928211825_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
Whatever is missing isn't standard, anyway. You should go to Downloads and download the latest revision manual on the 10F. First thing that I would do is to remove the risers and put it back to stock configuration. No one is going to have anything other than guesses as to what is missing in its modified state.

Hi, I bought this one off craigslist; I know nothing about these machines but trying to answer all the common questions I see on this forum: Model# 101.07402. I can't find the serial number. The bed is 3/8 thick, it's 42" long, the lead screw is 5/8" diameter, it does not have powered crossfeed. I have it in parts now trying to scrape all the grease off of it. It didn't run when I got it..needed a new motor. No tooling except what is shown. I think it tipped over previously. All the guards have been broken and welded back together. It has the upgraded grease zerk. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20211104_151029.jpg
    20211104_151029.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211104_191321.jpg
    20211104_191321.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20211130_163058.jpg
    20211130_163058.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20211130_170726.jpg
    20211130_170726.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211130_185351.jpg
    20211130_185351.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
I have a Craftsman 12" lathe, tag 101.07380 and serial number stamped on the bed 1863S. Not sure of the year but as close as I can tell it was made in the late 30's or early 40's. It was originally a babbit headstock, now soon Timken. I added a Quick change gear box and power feed cross slide. Has a 54 inch bed.

Last edited:
@Atempt,

If the nameplate with model number stamped into it is present and attached to the rear of the bed, you should find the serial number stamped into the top of the right end of the front way. That is where it always was until the nameplate was moved to the right end of the bed. Which did not happen until several years after the 101.07403 came out.

Before you attempt ti run the machine and ruin the bearings (assuming that has not already happened), you will need to remove the grease fittings and plug the holes where they were added. Then you should remove the headstock spindle and carefully clean all of the dried grease from the headstock and spindle bearings and carefully inspect the bearing cups and cones. While you have the bearings out, please read and report the dates found engraved into the cups and cones.

You should add the felt plugs into the oil cups. The proper lubricant specified by Atlas from about 1960 on is SAE 20 ND. The acceptable alternate is ISO 68 rated for use in hydraulic systems. Mobile sells an ISO 68 oil that they call Heavy Medium Circulating Oil. I used that for several years although last time that I needed ti replenish my oil supply SAE 20 ND was again available.

The likely reason for the broken guards, hand wheels and cranks is that the PO didn't follow the factory instructions to properly anchor the stand. The home-made stand needs to have some diagonal braces added, too.

Your machine was probably made in 1939.

@davek181,

Your machine would have originally been made in 1936. Does your machine have "L6" (without the "") stamped into the bed to the left of the serial number? Also, did the Timken head stock that you are changing to come from the same machine as the QCGB and/or the power cross feed carriage? Was that machine a 101.07403 or a 101.27440? And while you had the headstock disassembled, did you record the dates on the bearings?

Last edited:
My serial number has no letters before it, just 3873s only. I reported a different number before probably due to a memory error or transcribing error. Still according to the database chart I found it is a 1936. The headstock and QCGB and apron and cross slide are random ebay buys of no known origin, though I did compare the headstock to the old one before buying and it looks identical to the babbit one except the bearings of course, the color and the switch opening. My lathe was blue, or at least when I got it it was. The headstock is grey. As near as My knowledge and comparison photos I could dig up my guess is 101.07403 origin. I have not yet mounted it, nor disassembled it. It is very smooth in operation and looks very low mile, so to speak, by pulley wear, so disassembly never crossed my mind.

The QCGB is grey and bolted right on to the bed, the banjo mounts were a little different from the original geared one. I got a new 3/4 keyed leadscrew and turned the ends to fit. I did have to shim the apron down about .060" to make the leadscrew centered through it. I still need to make a right side leadscrew support .060" different to complete the project. The QCGB works well as long as I don't use it near the end of the bed due to the difference in support heights. It works fine nearer the headstock and I have used it many times for threading, feeding and cross feeding.

My lathe is turning into the same type of thing as my cars and motorcycles do. When people ask me what year they are, I ask what part of it they are looking at so as to give them an accurate answer.

Back