Atlas Horizontal mill

Froggie,

Nothing wrong with looking for bargains. But I run into the same thing in the vintage military radio area, where I am both a collector and a dealer. Any time someone starts off with something like "But I only paid such and such for the whatsit", I know to pull up my trousers legs or put on my waders. I've never been able to figure out why anyone would think that what they paid for one item had anything to do with what something else might cost. Especially when as is usually the case the something else was much harder to find than what they already had.

Gentlemen,

Atlas used Zamak for material because it is stronger than zinc die cast parts. Zamak is also hard mold capable which creates a finished part in as little as two operations. They are molding and trimming. That was attractive to the manufacturer to reduce overall cost. Unless a restoration is to create a museum piece their is no need to copy exact. For the majority of readers, the goal is to have a functional home shop machine. To make a functional part with minimal effort select a piece of stock longer than the total of the short bits plus the gap. Suitable materials are, Aluminum, Brass and Bronze. These are ductile enough not to damage the surface of the overarm even if over tightened.

Face both ends and drill through for the clamp bolt. Based upon the excellent drawing supplied by Wheels17, the arc center should be 1.25 from the bottom end. Set a fly cutter to a .75 radius. Touch down on the top of the material and zero the depth dial. Proceed to machine the arc to a total depth of .166. Then cut out 0.5 inch through the center of the arc. Deburr, assemble and use.

I have been making parts for various machines since I was 16 years old, and that was almost 50 years ago. In those days I didn't have the money to buy parts after buying the machine. So I learned to make what I need. I acquired the attitude, "Failure is not an acceptable option". Sometimes the first try was not what I wanted. No problem, do it over correctly.

The primary reason I have continued to acquired old machinery (defined as 1870's to 1930's), is they are reparable. If for example you acquire a 1980's CNC and a control board fails, those parts are not available at any price. Then if you have the skill to isolate the defective component on the board, they are long obsolete and not available. Then the only option is to retrofit the entire system with new controls and servos, an extremely expensive option, or scrap the machine. We have home shops to make projects. Therefore, making replacement parts for equipment should be second nature. Enough on the soap box.

A problem that occurred with my Atlas Horizontal, was the table nut wore out. I made a replacement, using Bronze. In a couple of years excess back lash was observed. Upon disassembly, crumbs of bronze were observed in the key way of the table feed screw. Upon close examination, the feed screw had not been properly deburred at the factory back in 1942. I took a wire wheel to the burrs and made an additional nut, all has been functioning well for the last 10 years. The suggestion is to check your feed screw and remove burrs as necessary.

Enjoy your machines and keep the chips flying!

Restorer

Restorer, I like "the cut of your jib." That sounds like the exact attitude I have, now if I can only develop the skills to back it up! At 66, I don't have time to put in the years you have, so I'll have to cheat a little from time to time and get help and advice from folks like you to keep me headed in the right direction. Thanks to all who have responded with good solid DIY advice and counsel.

Froggie

Well, I finally finished my arbor lock adventure(mostly). I published a drawing earlier in this thread, but I believe that there are errors in that drawing. I took more careful measurements of the four used locks I have and made my best estimate of the proper dimensions. There is one drawing used to figure out the geometry of the lock. I knew the width of the face of the lock, and the distance of the edge of the radiused cut to the end of the lock. Adding the bar diameter, and using Draftsight, I developed a drawing that shows the dimensions of two locks. I also prepared a machining drawing with the offsets calculated for using a .032 slitting saw for cutting the locks apart from the machined blank.

I cut the blank to length, faced, and drilled on the lathe. I then put the blank in a 5C spindex and used my boring head to cut the curved areas in the stock. The blank was then set upright in a v-block in the mill vise to separate the parts from the stock. The plain cylinder was faced to length on the lathe.

To convert the blank lock to the one that takes the square headed bolt, I put one of the locks back into the v-block and milled the square hole with a 1/8 end mill. Since it was aluminum (6061-T6), a sharp wood chisel cleaned out the corners so the bolt would fit.

Finding the square headed bolts turned out to be harder than I thought. They will have to be ordered, and shipping really drives the price for a few bolts sky high. I'm still looking locally.

Attachments

• Arbor Locks Revised Gap-V3.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Arbor Locks Revised Gap-V3 Machining drawing.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Arbor Locks Revised Gap-V3-M6-44.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 12
I just saw the note that these were Zamak 5.
Numbers from Wikipedia

Tensile strength:
Zamak 5 48,000 psi (39,000 psi aged)
6061-T6 typical values are 45,000 psi

I think 60 years counts as aged......

Yield Strength
Zamak 5 43,000 psi
6061-T6 typical values are 40,000 psi

A bit less, but close.

I've attached a study I did to make square head bolts out of hex bolts. .005 sq in lost out of .1914 square inches, or about 2.6% area lost compared to the area of the square head. If you assume that the bolt diameter is .250 (bad assumption), the bearing area is .1423 square inches, or a loss of 3.5%.

It's quick work. Set a 1/4" bolt with a 7/16 head in the vise and use a 30 degree angle block to get the flat horizontal. Zero the quill to the flat. Use a 15 degree angle block to set a side flat to 15 degrees. Lower the quill by about .031" and mill the head. Now use a 90 degree block to set the face just machined to square. Mill, repeat two more times. They fit pretty well.

Attachments

• Hex Bolt Study.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 5
Nice work!

I can buy square-head bolts at my local Sears Hardware and Appliance store. To fit the lock I may need to file/grind/mill a little off each side of the square.

Spiral_Chips

I never thought of looking there. I went to all my "old fashioned" hardware stores and struck out. Online seemed to be limited to quantities of 50 or 100.
I could find larger sizes a number of places. The blank looks at the big box stores were funny.

Not a general Sears retail store, this is an appliance, tools, and hardware only. No clothing, jewelry, bedding, etc.
Tractor Supply may have them.

But you are right about the remnants of the former "old fashion" hardware stores and modern home improvement centers. They all are increasingly moving towards stocking the central 1/3 of the middle of the road products that 2/3 of the middle of the road customers are looking for. This is how modern marketing maximizes profits. I see it as part of the continued "dumbing down of America" phenomena. Just my own jaded and cynical opinion.

Spiral_Chips

Not a general Sears retail store, this is an appliance, tools, and hardware only. No clothing, jewelry, bedding, etc.
Tractor Supply may have them.

But you are right about the remnants of the former "old fashion" hardware stores and modern home improvement centers. They all are increasingly moving towards stocking the central 1/3 of the middle of the road products that 2/3 of the middle of the road customers are looking for. This is how modern marketing maximizes profits. I see it as part of the continued "dumbing down of America" phenomena. Just my own jaded and cynical opinion.

Spiral_Chips

I know how you feel, S_C! Our local Sears "store" is occupying what was formerly a small grocery store building and it's not very full at that... mostly they sell garden implements and major appliances with a modest selection of hand and power tools. I think they do sell a few mattresses, etc, but honestly I don't go in there very often. It would be nice if they still had the line of machinery they carried back in the '50s, even if only for mail order. They pioneered selling stuff online before there was an online! Mail order was the first internet sales platform before the internet existed.

There is a Tractor Supply about 15 miles from here, so I'll check there the next time I find reason to venture over there, but I think I'll probably do as Wheels17 did an make a square head out of a hex head... I'm thinking if I go to the school shop I could use a 5-C collet in a square block and line things up just right, then mill it off that way. Man, I wish there were a readily available set of collet blocks (at least square and hex) for 4-C collets since I expended an inordinate amount of time and effort (not to mention money) assembling that set for my Lempco/Sheldon lathe.

Oh well, I've got to get the basic operation of the mill sorted out first, then I can hopefully do some of these neat things.

Froggie

Back