Atlas lathe DC motor conversion, treadmill

Re: Atlas lathe DC motor conversion, treadmill

A 5 k is what you want, as per my picture, you break the center wire (wiper) and install your motor start and stop switch, that way you don't have to zero the pot every time you can start off with the speed you left it at.Follow the picture and it will work. As i stated center wire on the pot (wiper)​

OK, well, I am just using the pot that came with this treadmill/board/motor combination.
Not sure what the value is?

What are you thoughts on installing the choke?
And does it matter witch motor wire l install it in?
I have heard(read) use the negative wire, and I have read use either wire.
thanks for all you help.
Electrical, I am fair with, Electronics I pretty well get lost, I understand the basics, and can follow instructions.

I installed the transformer in the hot incoming power lead, if that is what you are referring to?

I installed the transformer in the hot incoming power lead, if that is what you are referring to?

well, it's a transformer "looking thing" but there are only 2 wires. one in and one out.
I thought it went in the/a motor lead.

That looks like a transformer but is really a choke for the DC to the motor. I install them on the + wire but it would work on either wire. It adds an induction filter to the brushes and will help keep the motor stable. on some of the larger motors there is also a capacitor.

Art B

(re. the original project of this post) Holidays are past, and the temp isn't too bad so back to the shop today.. I found a 5k pot to use & wired it up as in the pic. I used a 5VDC wall wart plug as a supply. Connected its red lead to the center pot pin, and its black lead to the chassis ground. One pot side lead connected to the 'black' board terminal and the other pot side lead to the 'white' board terminal. Nothing on the 'red' board terminal. (I guess the wall wart plug takes the place of the red wire.?)
I plugged it all in and was reaching to turn the pot when it popped/flashed! Pulled the plug... Notice the smudge about an inch right of the pot? That's where the magic smoke came out.:whistle:
OK, so what am I doing wrong?

TM-motor1.jpg

TM-motor1.jpg

I don't think your supposed to apply power to those POT terminals.
Just hook the center pot to W and the 2 outside ones to the 2 outside terminals.

Maybe I am wrong, wait till someone is sure, I have a mc 60 board, and thought all you have to do is hook up the pot.

But yours might be different.
I was gust going to delete this, but don't think I can.

Well you may well be right Mr Breezee. But I thought I had to supply an outside 5VDC source since I earlier disconnected the other board which was supplying it. Hopefully someone else can weigh in and clear that up. Thanks!

So how fast do these DC motors stop when shut off? I hear you can short the leads to act as a brake. Has anyone done that?
R

Back