Atlas mill home at last

I'll bet is IS cast iron. I have some lathe parts that cleaned up like that. Put a magnet on it.

Steve

So today I started stripping the paint off of the base. When I get it cleaned up a bit I will post a picture, i'm letting the paint remover sit on there for a bit so not much to see right now.

I rounded up the bearing splitter and drive nut for the arbor. I will mail these out tomorrow. I will have to find the new belt I promised you. I could not find it tonight but I know it is out there. I will look around until I do find it for you!

Thank you so much Uncle Buck you are a life saver!! To the person who suggested that I try to a magnet on the motor mount to see if it really is bronze; I tried to stick a magnet to the part and it would not hold. So I guess that pretty much means that is is bronze.The paint stripping is going well enough that I might have a new picture or two to post later on this evening.

Well stripping the paint off the base is taking a little longer than I had hoped but it is still progressing. A word to the wise,when using this stripper make sure you are wearing eye protection and gloves. Also, dont inadvertely scratch your forearm with this stuff still on your glove,it really burns,LOL!!!

atlasMill_crack 003.JPG

To the person who suggested that I try to a magnet on the motor mount to see if it really is bronze; I tried to stick a magnet to the part and it would not hold. So I guess that pretty much means that is is bronze.

I would bet money that that is not original, most likely cast as a replacement for a broken mount. Since bronze can be cast at significantly lower temperatures it could have been done in a small backyard foundry. The little ear that holds the adjustment bolt is a weak point. The one on the Atlas MF that I have was broken when I got it. I did find a replacement. Sorry to say my MF is disassembled and has been that way for about a year, too many projects.

I would bet money that that is not original, most likely cast as a replacement for a broken mount. Since bronze can be cast at significantly lower temperatures it could have been done in a small backyard foundry. The little ear that holds the adjustment bolt is a weak point. The one on the Atlas MF that I have was broken when I got it. I did find a replacement. Sorry to say my MF is disassembled and has been that way for about a year, too many projects.

That sounds logical to me. I thought all the parts were cast iron myself.

Robert, make sure and check your PM's

Last edited:
Ok so still working on getting the paint off the bottom of the base,but now I have gotten most of the paint off of the knee. Its intresting that you say that about how the mount might have been a replacment since another poster suggested that my mill might have started out as a MHC model and then converted to a MFC.

atlasMill12 001.JPG atlasMill12 002.JPG atlasMill12 003.JPG

Back