Atlas mill home at last

While I like spray painting stuff and I am even well set to even paint cars I always choose a brush finish for projects like this myself. I always feel like the thicker brush finish will be more durable which is why I go that way. Just my 2 cents.

I always use the self etching primer you can buy it in spray cans now its great for those hard to reach areas that you might not be able to scuff up for adhesion it goes on heavy and hides a lot of blemishes. Then I would just use a good quality spray enamel the spray cans are fine they just have to set for a while to properly cure.

Good post about the self etching primer!! I was planning on using red oxide primer,but now i'm rethinking that idea. Also what would you guys recommend soaking the various parts in to make sure all of the paint stripper is off? Thanks Robert.

Just hose it off good maybe wash it with some dishwashing detergent and rinse with warm water.

WOuld anyone here recommend using a little bondo to smooth out the castings?? Or is that going a little overboard?

Unless it is for show and tell only I would not use bondo.

WOuld anyone here recommend using a little bondo to smooth out the castings?? Or is that going a little overboard?

I have seen machines done that way by a friend and they looked absolutely beautiful, but he spray painted them with urethane (sp) paint just like you would spray finish a car. The results were stunning, but I will admit I have never had the patience to apply that kind of finish to a piece of shop equipment myself. Plus, I would likely be too scared to use the machine if I ever made one look that good! I just stick to a combination of rattle cans and brush enamel myself.

When removing the original pant on my Rockwell 21-122 it had bondo in the bad casting spots. I even found a spot were the hole was brassed. After cleaning down to the metal, I put it back in.

When removing the original pant on my Rockwell 21-122 it had bondo in the bad casting spots. I even found a spot were the hole was brassed. After cleaning down to the metal, I put it back in.

I don't blame you I would have done the same thing!

Well after taking a good look at my castings now that they are cleaned there are just a few spots that could use a little bondo so I think I will give it a try. Any luck on those bearing numbers Uncle Buck? Do these sound like the right ones? The race number is 7196 (need 2 )bearing numbers are 7087 and 7100? Thanks.

Back