Atlas mill home at last

Well after taking a good look at my castings now that they are cleaned there are just a few spots that could use a little bondo so I think I will give it a try. Any luck on those bearing numbers Uncle Buck? Do these sound like the right ones? The race number is 7196 (need 2 )bearing numbers are 7087 and 7100? Thanks.

Oh my, so sorry I dropped the ball here. I will post those tonight when I get home. I hope it is not too late to help! :panic:

Well after taking a good look at my castings now that they are cleaned there are just a few spots that could use a little bondo so I think I will give it a try. Any luck on those bearing numbers Uncle Buck? Do these sound like the right ones? The race number is 7196 (need 2 )bearing numbers are 7087 and 7100? Thanks.
I only have two boxes left, one is 7100 and the other 7196 so I would safely assume the third was originally 7087. So that was what I got. Looks like you got the right stuff.

Sorry I have not posted in a while, I have been working on several little projects around the house at once. So after priming and taping the various parts, I decided to go with a quart of Rustoleum “smoke grey” mixed with just enough mineral sprits to make the paint flow evenly. The pictures below show just the first coats. I will allow these to dry completely before each new coat. Also I have decided not to use any Bondo, I wasn’t confident in my ability to apply it correctly.

painting_mill 010.JPG painting_mill 011.JPG painting_mill 012.JPG

Unless you are very picky about the finish of your machine you should be very pleased with how everything looks after you paint it Robert. The only time I ever used Bondo on one of my machines was an old Buffalo drill press I restored a few years back. I recall using it on the underside of the the table where it had been nearly drilled in half, though I admit the area would never have been seen because the table was re skinned with a new plate. I also used it to cove a nasty old weld repair that had been made by a prior owner.

Progress looks great man, stay with it!

Thanks Uncle Buck, like I said I thought about using some Bondo but after viewing some pictures on this site and other sites of machines where Bondo was and was not used; I kind of like the way the castings look without the Bondo. Also I have read about filler shrinking and flaking off if its not applied correctly. I would however like to know if anyone here thinks I should apply clear coat? Would that make much of a diffrence?

Personally I just use heavy enamel and let it go at that. I have never clear coated anything, but then I will admit I can be a bit cheap and lazy!

Gentlemen,

You have gotten me interested in cosmetic improvements on my Atlas Mill.

The original color appears to be similar to "Olive Drab". A previous owner
applied a brushed coat of "Light Green". This was a popular industrial color in the 1960's.

This is a suggestion to aid others in removing paint. Use a gel stripper such as “Strippeze”.
Apply it thick in a small area, ex: 1/8 or more thick, 6 inch square area. Glop it on quickly and cover with a piece of "Saran Wrap". Repeat over the total area of the machine as required overlap is necessary. The solvents do not affect the Saran Wrap, and the covering holds the chemistry in to work on the paint. Fumes in the air are reduced as well. Leave it on for 2 hours or more. When the Saran Wrap is peeled off most of the paint comes off with it as well. Wire brush off any remaining paint immediately. Wipe down with a solvent such as Lacquer thinner and the item is ready for painting.

I like the suggestion of etching primer!

Uncle Buck, If you are having aluminum castings made for the Motor & Jack Shaft two step pulleys and a belt guard (motor to Jack Shaft) I am interested.

Uncle Buck, If you are having aluminum castings made for the Motor & Jack Shaft two step pulleys and a belt guard (motor to Jack Shaft) I am interested.
A few years back I had a small local aluminum foundry duplicate several Atlas 7b shaper doors for me and they came out absolutely beautiful. I planned to have the same guys pour me some milling machine guards so I tried to find them in the phone listings with no luck. A few days later I drove by and their name is still on the building and I saw a pile of their mold sand laying beside their shop but no one was there. I am going to make sure they are gone though before giving up on them. I have no clue who I will talk to next if they are out of business, hopefully I will be able to find another shop within reasonable driving distance.

For Robert 1352: attachment if it works a drawing of the spindle you may want to make.

Its not my design ( downloaded PDF from the internet), and I see missing dimensions. However these could be obtained from the old one.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, try #2 to attach a file.
Atlas horizontal spindle.

mfcspndl.GIF

Back