Atlas mill home at last

Well for those of you who thought I fell off the face of the earth, Im back and I am starting to put the mill back together. I wont go into detail about what has kept me from posting but hopefully that’s behind me for now. I will try to post pictures of the reassembly as I go along but don’t expect regular updates. Thus far I have managed to replace some of the brass parts and I have changed the paint to a shade of green, which looks a lot better than the smoke grey I started with. Right now im working on putting the base back tighter along with the knee , although as you can see from the pictures the shims are shot, any ideas for replacement shims would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

DSC00495.JPG DSC00496.JPG DSC00497.JPG DSC00498.JPG

Glad to see you're back at it, Robert. The mill is looking good.

Vince

Great to see you back at it! I guess we did think you fell off kind of.. :))

Any progress is good progress and we all have other things that consume our time.
But we're glad you still have the mill and are getting it together, the chips will be flying soon. :thanks:

I just poured a small amount of paint into the recess and guided it around with my brush. If I got any on the outside of the gear I would just wipe it off with a cloth dipped in mineral sprits.

I really like that color. Is that a custom mix or an off-the-shelf color? Would you care to share the name?

Yes I like the color also. It is a custom mix ,I'll see if I can post the specific information about the paint later. I know it was a Sherwin Williams product, I will have to look for the paper I had with the specific color mix on it.

... although as you can see from the pictures the shims are shot, any ideas for replacement shims would be appreciated...

When I rebuilt my lathe I found a real nice assortment of shims through Amazon. Funny... what was included is/was a lifetime supply for me, and surprised how often I've dipped into the "extras" to shim something or just needed some real thin stock for something. Don't know if you need to stick with brass or go with steel? Anyway, use your old shims as patterns as best you can:

Precision Brand Carbon Steel 1008 Shim Stock Assortment
http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Carbon-Assortment-Temper-Chemistry/dp/B003A03JTG

260 Brass Sheet, Unpolished (Mill) Finish, Half Hard Temper, 0.001-0.015" Thickness, 6" Width, 12" Length (Pack of 12)
http://www.amazon.com/Unpolished-Finish-Temper-0-001-0-015-Thickness/dp/B002BYTCL6

Back