Atlas shaper, What would you pay for this. they want 1000. Is that worth it. I own a mill and lathes. I dont really have a need for it. but why not!

adamnlazybum

Registered
Registered
shaper 1.jpg
shaper 2.jpg
shaper 3.jpg
shaper 4.jpg

For more info. I want to use this to make stuff for my welding jobs, I am new to shapers and have no idea how to tell the condition of these. Ive been doing a bit of research and theyre pretty neat. I have a little extra to spend, so if its worth it to you guys, i might do it. No base, only what you see there is what ill get.

That is about what they ask for price around here but in Canadian dollars. 35% less. The one in the picture doesn't have an original shaper vise. A shaper vise is lower profile and will clamp tighter. A local place here has a 36" Cincinnati, with about 60 thou in wear. They still use it for one job that comes in every year.

I have a 20" Douglas shaper. Collects a lot of dust.
That being said I go thru streaks using it. They are slow and methodical. I probably use it more for keyways than anything. A lot of times, if I am doing a keyway in a small pulley or gear. I will hand crank it so it's not under power. Works just as well but less likely to pull the part from the vise:rolleyes: before you have had time push stop.
I like mine for flattening bigger pieces of thick plate. I can do a set up and start cutting and work on something else till it's done.
Good luck.
Cheers
Martin

That is about what they ask for price around here but in Canadian dollars. 35% less. The one in the picture doesn't have an original shaper vise. A shaper vise is lower profile and will clamp tighter. A local place here has a 36" Cincinnati, with about 60 thou in wear. They still use it for one job that comes in every year.

I have a 20" Douglas shaper. Collects a lot of dust.
That being said I go thru streaks using it. They are slow and methodical. I probably use it more for keyways than anything. A lot of times, if I am doing a keyway in a small pulley or gear. I will hand crank it so it's not under power. Works just as well but less likely to pull the part from the vise:rolleyes: before you have had time push stop.
I like mine for flattening bigger pieces of thick plate. I can do a set up and start cutting and work on something else till it's done.
Good luck.
Cheers
Martin
Thanks for the input. I thought that vise looked fishy. wish i could find myself a 20" shaper. How much would those go for?

I thought that vise looked fishy. wish i could find myself a 20" shaper. How much would those go for?
A couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand.

My opinion is that if you want a shaper, then that Atlas is a good place to start. You can use it for a couple years and sell it for the same money later on if you decide to.
I think that price is less than what people ask around here.

There’s not a strong market for shapers, so selling it may take time. Another thing to consider is that the same money spent on a vertical milling machine would probably be a better value if you’re trying to run a business.

In most cases the larger machines go for less money. Over the years I've turned down a few 16" and 20" shapers. Mainly due to the weight and floor space they take up. They've been out of favor in commercial shops for over 50 years so as time goes on there are fewer and fewer available. The only people looking for them are hobbyists.

I look at them similar to a red Corvette. While they do have some use, they're actually more of a mid-life crisis machine. They bring back part of your youth, and you can show them off to your friends. They can do some things that are difficult or more expensive to do vertical mill, but by in large they're more window dressing than anything else.

I admit I do have one and did use it regularly for several years. It now sits in the corner and is only brought out for a few special jobs. It still has its place in the shop for the money I have invested in it. However, I wouldn't even consider it at the price most sellers are asking today.

There are several on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace with asking prices ranging from $750.00 to $3,000.00. Most have been there for months. It's fairly obvious most of the sellers are trying to cash in on the latest fad for the hobby machinist. Most are rusty and crusty setting in some upscale garage next to a fancy sports car. By the looks of them most haven't seen use in many years, and possibly decades.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. A vertical mill can do the same job and isnt limited to only one thing. I would buy a horizontal mill before I would a shaper.

You'd have to pay me to take one of those ancient relics

I agree with most of what I read above, a full size shaper would be much more useful than the Atlas toy, I bought a 20-24 G&E universal shaper for the same money some years ago, had it in my shop downtown and used it fairly often; you would be much better served if you saved up and bought a vertical mill. And, yes, the price reflects a fad, "oh wow, look at mu nearly useless shaper".

Back