Atlas shaper, What would you pay for this. they want 1000. Is that worth it. I own a mill and lathes. I dont really have a need for it. but why not!

Seeing that the shaper is missing both belt guards and its original vise, $1000 bucks is about right. If it was complete and sitting on the original cast iron legged table it would be alot more.

Seeing that the shaper is missing both belt guards and its original vise, $1000 bucks is about right. If it was complete and sitting on the original cast iron legged table it would be alot more.
I have an old Atlas 7b I got almost complete minus the motor belt cover for $125. Everything including the cool square wrench that adjusts everything, the vise, the multi angle tool holder. All those are must haves and not with the shaper in the ad.

There are more problems that would make me not want to take chance on that particular Atlas. The vise is basically junk and a good replacement will cost you around $500. Not that they are worth that, it’s just what they go for.

Somebody crashed and broke the original ratchet box and boogered that on to it. Who knows what other damage was done. or if the ratchet works right. Or if all these parts like the belt covers, ratchet box, vise and tool holder were auctioned on eBay where they would bring together around $1500+. And the remaining shaper was then sold to this guy. While Atlas shaper parts are the most prevalent on eBay they are stupid expensive.

The missing belt cover on the motor is not just a OSHA cosmetic detail, the belt clutch doesn’t work right without it. Ask me how I know :)

I love my little shaper and when I need it’s handy as a shirt pocket. But realistically I wouldn’t have paid over $500 for it and was just lucky I was in the right place at the right time.

I agree with most of what I read above, a full size shaper would be much more useful than the Atlas toy, I bought a 20-24 G&E universal shaper for the same money some years ago, had it in my shop downtown and used it fairly often; you would be much better served if you saved up and bought a vertical mill. And, yes, the price reflects a fad, "oh wow, look at mu nearly useless shaper".
A fad is right.
In 2017 shapers of this size, 7”, could be had for $400 or less. In my experience.

Thanks for the input. I thought that vise looked fishy. wish i could find myself a 20" shaper. How much would those go for?
I paid $200 for mine at auction. That was when you didn't have to pay riggers to get it to the door. I unhooked the power, jacked it up and rolled it on pipe two hundred feet to a bay door where I hired a roll off truck to move it to my shop.
I was at an auction this week in Toronto. 19% buyers premium, US Dollars, and 13% sales tax. Anything but a hand tool had riggers fees.
Martin

How much hand cranking do You want to do? Spline bushing 2.jpg

i got it down to 500. but am still wondering if i should. Just found a gear shaper near me for 2500. That is more useful to me, but a bit expensive.

i got it down to 500. but am still wondering if i should. Just found a gear shaper near me for 2500. That is more useful to me, but a bit expensive.
I guess I should have qualified my statement. I wouldn’t have bought my shaper for more than $500 and it had all the best stuff only missing the belt cover. I ended up buying an original cast iron belt cover which is pretty rare for $125 so I have a total of $250 in it. I also had several projects for it so I knew I had use for it going in.

Does the gear shaper have a bunch of tooling with it and is good shape? Those are generally very old machines, rare and you don’t see tooling or parts for them.

I purchased my AMMCO mainly to cut keyways. At the time I didn't own a broach set, and the shaper was less expensive than the broaches I needed. I had to make tool holders and tooling, but when all was said and done it did the job. Later on, as I got lazier, I didn't want to spend the time to make more tooling and setup the machine. I bit the bullet and bought a couple sets of broaches. The shaper still gets used on occasion, but not nearly as much as it did before I purchased the broaches.

Hey thats cool. I see why youd want to make holders and tooling. Theyre expensive. But i also why youd get lazy about it . What machine do you use them on. Im finding out about all these cool new machines that i just gotta have.
I purchased my AMMCO mainly to cut keyways. At the time I didn't own a broach set, and the shaper was less expensive than the broaches I needed. I had to make tool holders and tooling, but when all was said and done it did the job. Later on, as I got lazier, I didn't want to spend the time to make more tooling and setup the machine. I bit the bullet and bought a couple sets of broaches. The shaper still gets used on occasion, but not nearly as much as it did before I purchased the broaches

I guess I should have qualified my statement. I wouldn’t have bought my shaper for more than $500 and it had all the best stuff only missing the belt cover. I ended up buying an original cast iron belt cover which is pretty rare for $125 so I have a total of $250 in it. I also had several projects for it so I knew I had use for it going in.

Does the gear shaper have a bunch of tooling with it and is good shape? Those are generally very old machines, rare and you don’t see tooling or parts for them.
This one seems like its missong some belt covers and it has a puny chinese vise. I csn get it for 500 but idk.

Also, for the gear shaper. I have no clue. I was watching videos on how they work and really would love to have a gear making machine. That, is definitely something that would often be used around here with me. I also want the shaper, but id prefer 20" over a 7". Yet, to have this really cool atlas design would be nice. Even if it just sat in the corner most of the time.

The gear shaper, im not sure what tooling it comes with. It seems that you have experience with them? What should it come with, or how do i inspect it. Ill be looking into that a few weeks before i look to buy.

Back