Atlas shaper, What would you pay for this. they want 1000. Is that worth it. I own a mill and lathes. I dont really have a need for it. but why not!

For more info. I want to use this to make stuff for my welding jobs, I am new to shapers and have no idea how to tell the condition of these. Ive been doing a bit of research and theyre pretty neat. I have a little extra to spend, so if its worth it to you guys, i might do it. No base, only what you see there is what ill get.
Go to Abom79 on Youtube, And watch this video... Shapers, in my opinion still have a place, I would not mind having one, a smaller one....

Shapers can still do any of the functions they were designed to do. The reason they have fallen out of favor is that newer machines can perform the same functions faster and with less manual operator input.

These machines were built for commercial shops where time is money. When the next generation machine comes along that can do the same job in a fraction of the time and cost those that insist on sticking with the old technology will be out of business soon.

There are still a couple companies that still make shapers. You can buy a 20” Standard Direct machine for a little under $14,000.00. I believe they’re made in South Africa

For comparison a new Bridgeport Series 1 machine costs around $20,000.00. It can do far more than a shaper in much less time.

Last edited:
Back