Audio components manufacturing?

to me vinyl and turntables are snake oil
When I first started experimenting with ripping music, I thought that eventually those who grew up listening to heavily compressed music would come to appreciate music with “higher-fidelity”- until I read a study which looked into such things. To my dismay they found that people preferred the music they had become used to: If you listen to vinyl- you prefer vinyl; If you listen to MP3’s- you prefer MP3’s; etc.

I guess it’s the same reason some albums don’t excite me on a first listen, yet after a few listens I really enjoy them?

Just a thought here: If you put the record on an arbor you could turn it in the lathe and have a spring mounted tone arm on the cross slide...
Wouldn’t it be tricky to get the power cross feed at the right speed… (tongue in cheek too…)

Ok. lets try and keep on topic please. I know that's difficult on this forum as we all tend to get distracted by butterflies or things that are shiny, but please try.....;)

I have been listening too my vinyl for 50+ years.

For the plater you will want something non-magnetic--non-magnetic while spinning, which leaves Aluminum and Copper out. Acrylic works well, but you need 1"+ thickness for sufficient mass.

My current turn table uses a tungsten tip running in <greased> bushing with a point at the top. The tungsten is stiff enough that you turn/grind a conical pyramid on it than it runs in a tiny point in the bearing bronze.

The tone arm also rides on a single point.

The motor stand by itself ¼" away from the turntable so any vibrations have to take a path down from the motor, across the table the ensemble is sitting on, and up the 4 pointed feet, before making it to the vibration dampening framework the plater and tonearm reside.

The plater is driven with a 18"± O-ring.

At the time, 80s, Dual was the very good at their price point. There were better but the price escalated rapidly just like Carver tube amps etc.
Looks like the gimbals are not anything special. Visually looks like steel pins into steel sockets. Too smooth to be steel on steel though.
Sure I will sell it, been sitting in a box for a long time.
Pierre

At the time, 80s, Dual was the very good at their price point. There were better but the price escalated rapidly just like Carver tube amps etc.
Looks like the gimbals are not anything special. Visually looks like steel pins into steel sockets. Too smooth to be steel on steel though.
Sure I will sell it, been sitting in a box for a long time.
Pierre
I’ll pm you. Even if I don’t use it “as is”, it gives me a sample of something machined to do the job instead of trying to copy/reverse engineer something from a mass produced plastic thing…

Last edited:
I’m in to vintage audio. Part of that means vinyl records.
I’ve got a couple retail quality turntables, but I’d like to try building one myself.

It seems the tone arm is the biggest challenge as it needs to be weighted and balanced properly. “Professional” ones can run in the tens of thousands. Not sure who would pay that, but someone must or they would be out of business.

Has anyone here attempted such a project and if so, a few pointers woukd be appreciated.
I "built" a turntable using a Lenco L75 idler drive donor turntable. Check out Lenco Heaven--there are lots of DIY builder threads there.

Here's my turntable build thread:
It performs great. I've recently replaced it with a top of the line Technics SP-10R direct drive turntable just because I've always wanted one. Not sure that I like the sound much better than my DIY 'table.

There are some great DIY-like tonearms available. I have a Trans-Fi Terminator linear air bearing tone arm that punches way above its weight. There is also a relatively new Supatrak tonearm that is "relatively" reasonable for a top-performing tonearm at ~$1500.

So it has two tone arms? I never thought of that.

Back