Audio components manufacturing?

So it has two tone arms? I never thought of that.
Usually done to allow guys to run different cartridges/stylus for different sounding music. What works on something like classical might not be optimum for something like rock and roll and vice versa. Or you might run MM in one arm and MC in the other. Lots of reasons for two separate arms in the "audiophile" arena.

But mainly, when you get a table that is dialed in for wow, flutter and rumble you want to use it for all your music because it's sonic-ly clean....

The second arm in Achipo's build thread look like it might be a string/vacuum groove cleaner though. Sure doesn't look like a functioning tone arm...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rwm
So it has two tone arms? I never thought of that.
Yes--I ran a stereo cartridge on the Terminator arm, and a mono cartridge on the vintage Pioneer arm (high mass). My new Technics turntable is set up for 3 arms, but I only have one installed

So that "Terminator Arm" is linear tracking? Can you detail how that works? What moves the cartridge down the arm? motor?
For reference:
1681506286688.png

So that "Terminator Arm" is linear tracking? Can you detail how that works? What moves the cartridge down the arm? motor?
For reference:
View attachment 444603
Here's the manual for how the Terminator works:

An aquarium pump feeds a manifold with small holes in it (the upward facing angle), and a carriage (downward facing angle) with moglice or something similar floats on the air. The manifold is leveled such that the slightest force will move the carriage. The carriage is moved by the needle following the groove in the record.

Here's the manual for how the Terminator works:

An aquarium pump feeds a manifold with small holes in it (the upward facing angle), and a carriage (downward facing angle) with moglice or something similar floats on the air. The manifold is leveled such that the slightest force will move the carriage. The carriage is moved by the needle following the groove in the record.
I stand corrected. Liner tracking arm. Looked like a record cleaner in those pics. Guess I didn't look close enough...

That's crazy! I'm not sure I want an air pump running in the background though?

Back