AWW FUDGE! Busted my TH42 compound slide!

I might drop into the local shop and see what they would want to make one. I may go that way if it's not too much. Quickest way to get back up to speed again....

Totally not making fun of you, but I found it amusing to see your post from yesterday about parting on this lathe and this one about 5 lines apart on the "Whats new" list.

Hope you get it fixed up quick.

Nah, it's ok.

I was thinking the same thing.....

I made one for my Seneca falls star lathe, one of my first milling projects, I bet your milling attachment is as stable as my bench top mill.
If I could do it, you can too.
IMG_20190122_112512974.jpg

Ouch! That's really unfortunate. I'm in the same boat with one of my 6" lathes, when I got the machine the compound slide was already broken in exactly the same place. The casting is just sooo thin there...

I would give some thought to Greg's suggestion of a solid plinth. Even if it isn't forever and you still want a compound (I would), the solid plinth would be easier to build and have the lathe functional again. When you get another compound, either new or old, keep the solid plinth for heavy parting jobs or just as a spare behind the ear.

-frank

My biggest issue is i don't have the right tooling here and it's not something that can be sourced locally (no stores). 3 hr round trip is the closest possibility.

Talked to a local shop over the phone. He want to look at it and may take a crack at welding the cast. If not, he can make me one. We didn't discuss price.

Welding the cast I'm not keen on as it's not overly strong to begin with.

I might let him take a shot at welding it as it might get me back up and spinning (light work) until I can either get the right tooling or have them make me one.

Glad nobody got hurt. Machines can always be repaired or replaced.

Craig

The top slide was too far forward and not supported against the loading. Happens. Mine was broken and repaired before I even bought mine. It was brazed together. I built a new one before the repaired one broke again in this topic.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/replacement-compound-slide-for-atlas-10.708/

Nope. I made sure i had it back on the cross slide. Always do when parting, trying to get it all as rigid as possible.

I did look at your other thread though. Gave me the idea that I might not need a T slot, just a threaded hole for my tool post. That would mean I can probably just build a plinth with what I have here and that will at least get me up and running...

Last edited:
Back