[4]

Bad Day

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I broke two nice reamers yesterday. A .250" Alvord-Polk and a .249" LaSalle And Ide. I also bought several Letter and number drill bits from McMaster-Carr, 8 to be exact. They were still in their bags and I can only find four. I suspect the other four got thrown out in the trash yesterday.

Asm109

Registered
Registered
Do tell us how you break a reamer. As far a missing items go. Stand in the middle of the shop, in the presence of witnesses and declare out loud that you are an idiot and have lost the drills. Shortly after this, the missing parts will appear in an obvious place you could swear you checked all ready.

ddickey

I did that but they never turned up. Lol
To embarrassed to tell.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I don’t know about the idiot part? But if you drop something on the floor in my shop, it’s as good as gone forever! Whatever you drop turns chameleon and melds into the crap on the floor.

kvt

Active User
I would swear there are gremlins under the equipment that take everything that gets dropped on the floor and gives you back more swarf in it's place. And boy are they quick. At times I think they also take things off the bench while your back is turned.

markba633csi

I start blaming the mailman (or whoever just came by) for stealing them and shortly they turn up, then I promptly blame myself for being such a moron. Then I have a beer.
How did you break those reamers anyhow?

benmychree

John York
A couple of years ago, my cell phone dropped out of my pocket in my wood shop in front of the workbench, it opened up and the battery went flying; I could not find it anywhere, looked and looked to no avail; fast forward over a year, and I was looking for something on a shelf in a cabinet under the bench, and there it was! I took it to the house, put it into the phone, and the phone worked! Of course I had bought a new phone by that time, so I did not take up with my old phone, but it goes to show, do not give up; I think the more you search, the less you find --- I'm still looking for a dropped pencil with a Brown & Sharpe clip on it -------

tjb

Terry
I broke two nice reamers yesterday. A .250" Alvord-Polk and a .249" LaSalle And Ide. I also bought several Letter and number drill bits from McMaster-Carr, 8 to be exact. They were still in their bags and I can only find four. I suspect the other four got thrown out in the trash yesterday.
Whenever I lose something, I'll spend half a day looking for it with no luck. Then, I'll ask my wife to come out and have a look. She'll walk right up to my toolbox or bench and say, 'It's right there.' I don't know how she does it. I seriously think it's magic. I'll have her go out to my shop and see if she can find your drill bits. If she does, you can send me your address and I'll be happy to mail them to you.

Regards (and good luck),
Terry

P.S.: Stay away from my reamers.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Whenever I lose something, I'll spend half a day looking for it with no luck. Then, I'll ask my wife to come out and have a look. She'll walk right up to my toolbox or bench and say, 'It's right there.' I don't know how she does it. I seriously think it's magic. I'll have her go out to my shop and see if she can find your drill bits. If she does, you can send me your address and I'll be happy to mail them to you.

Regards (and good luck),
Terry

That is what I call, and have come to depend on as the "Uterus Based Finding device". Only applies to the species homo sapiens, canine will not suffice.
It has only failed once in over (10) years that I can remember.
I was polishing a small part on a large buffing wheel this past summer holding it in a jerry-rigged holder and it went flying.
My Better-Half was present when this occurred. Searched for hours, never showed up.
I was cleaning out a junk drawer of aluminum pieces this week and found it! Aforementioned Better-Half is out of town visiting her Kids.
Go figure...
Seriously, whenever I get frustrated at trying to find something I give up and humbly go ask for assistance. Always seems to work thankfully.

epanzella

Active User
Registered
The only guaranteed way to find a missing tool is to buy a replacement.

tq60

Registered
Registered
Removing valves from head of lawnmower engine and one of the keepers flew into the Netherlands of an area of the floor of doom.

That place where buckets of to be sorted hardware brushes and other things that have fallen of the bench land...

The keeper is now in the bag with the rest of the parts and the floor and buckets much cleaner and things sorted...

jim18655

Active User
I just did that with some electronic parts. I needed a replacement part, looked everywhere because I was sure I had spares, ordered new parts, found the spares I had the next day.

richl

Active User
Registered
I spend way to much time in my shop looking for something I set down somewhere without consciously thinking when I did it... way to much shop time is spent looking for it misplaced tools
I just redid much of my shop, new tool boxes, benches removed, machines relocated... so I am going to need to spend many hours organizing just to get the slightest grip on the situation.
Another thing along the same lines for me... storing something for weeks, months or years, you finally relocate it or dispose of it, than you need it withi a week or 2....

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I would swear there are gremlins under the equipment that take everything that gets dropped on the floor and gives you back more swarf in it's place. And boy are they quick. At times I think they also take things off the bench while your back is turned.
I agree 100% with that statement, I think I saw one of them once,but his friends pulled him back under the table and then they were gone:alien::p

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
That is what I call, and have come to depend on as the "Uterus Based Finding device". Only applies to the species homo sapiens, canine will not suffice.
It has only failed once in over (10) years that I can remember.
I was polishing a small part on a large buffing wheel this past summer holding it in a jerry-rigged holder and it went flying.
My Better-Half was present when this occurred. Searched for hours, never showed up.
I was cleaning out a junk drawer of aluminum pieces this week and found it! Aforementioned Better-Half is out of town visiting her Kids.
Go figure...
Seriously, whenever I get frustrated at trying to find something I give up and humbly go ask for assistance. Always seems to work thankfully.
I also have one of these devices.

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
Another thing along the same lines for me... storing something for weeks, months or years, you finally relocate it or dispose of it, than you need it withi a week or 2....
Oh, yes! What separates 'stuff' from 'junk'- you move, and take it with you, 3 times in a decade. You make new places to store it. Finally, you say "I am tired of storing/moving this, and throw it away. A week later, the reason you saved the 'stuff' finally comes up. If I had a nickle......

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
When I would have a so-called "Bad Day" my mentor would say, "Yes it may seem bad but there will be worse". Long form." There is no such animal as a Bad Day, some are worse than others but you will never see your worst one"

"Billy G"

Aukai

My wife asks me if I looked with my eyes before I looked with my mouth. ((asking her)

uncle harry

Active User
Registered
Exactly ! I misplaced a drill-tap-deburring bit & went to ACE hardware to buy a replacement. The next time I was in my shop I found the original one. I was using a DeWalt bit holder that has a sliding sleeve to allow better "aim". I picked up the holder & slid back the sleeve & there it was.

ddickey

After buying some new drill bits to replace the ones I lost, you guessed it, I lost four more.
This time though It was just to bizarre because I knew for sure they were in my drawer with my other bits. What had happened was they fell behind the drawer of my tool chest somehow and that is where they were, all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

magicniner

Registered
Registered
Do tell us how you break a reamer. As far a missing items go. Stand in the middle of the shop, in the presence of witnesses and declare out loud that you are an idiot and have lost the drills. Shortly after this, the missing parts will appear in an obvious place you could swear you checked all ready.
Not here, the lost parts appear at some point after you buy replacements in my shop ;-)

Scruffy

Active User
Had a trailer floor to put down, so I bought 12 hole hog 7/32 bits to be ready. Well got everything rounded up and could not find the bits.
Ordered 12 more, got the job done only breaking 5 and then found the first 12 that I put where I would know where the were. I’m all supplied with 7/32 bits.
Ron

tjb

Terry

Regards (and good luck),
Terry

See? I told ya. Happened again today. Spent the better part of two hours down in my shop trying to find one sheet of paper that had a parts order I HAD to make. Even went up to the house and checked all the usual hiding places. Finally, I gave in to humility and called "Eagle Eye" out to the shop and asked her to help me find it. Took her the better part of eight seconds (she's been feeling a little poorly lately). The bad part is that if it was a snake it would have bit me at least half-a-dozen times. No joke. Really.

Don't know how I'd survive without her. AND she's an unbelievable cook. So much so that I've thought about opening a restaurant. Gave up that idea after her three-word answer: "I'll kill you."

Regards,
Terry

benmychree

John York
My wife is also very good at finding my stuff, and generally it is literally in plain sight.

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
There is no such thing as a bad day, only one's perception of how the day was.

When some small item goes flying in the shop I am very careful to listen to where it lands and try to determine the
trajectory from there. Of course if the air compressor is running at the time, you might not find it...:blue:

I lost a magnet and looked for hours the other day. It had hooked itself to my hack saw and hitch hiked a ride off to the bench.
Of course one wouldn't expect to look for it there.....

Last edited:

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
I lost a magnet and looked for hours the other day. It had hooked itself to my hack saw and hitch hiked a ride off to the bench.
Of course one wouldn't expect to look for it there.....
You know those really handy magnetic trays for your tools or parts? They sell 'em everywhere, they are so handy! You know how many times I have FINALLY found my missing socket, or screw, or whatever hiding on the magnet UNDER that tray?

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
See? I told ya. Happened again today. Spent the better part of two hours down in my shop trying to find one sheet of paper that had a parts order I HAD to make. Even went up to the house and checked all the usual hiding places. Finally, I gave in to humility and called "Eagle Eye" out to the shop and asked her to help me find it. Took her the better part of eight seconds (she's been feeling a little poorly lately). The bad part is that if it was a snake it would have bit me at least half-a-dozen times. No joke. Really.

Don't know how I'd survive without her. AND she's an unbelievable cook. So much so that I've thought about opening a restaurant. Gave up that idea after her three-word answer: "I'll kill you."

Regards,
Terry
Eagle eye........:grin::grin:

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
You know those really handy magnetic trays for your tools or parts? They sell 'em everywhere, they are so handy! You know how many times I have FINALLY found my missing socket, or screw, or whatever hiding on the magnet UNDER that tray?
Doesn't work so well with paper though....:D:D:D

amsoilman

Amsoilman
Registered
While working on a minor job on my MC I set a few items i removed next to it, walked to the tool box and back. A few minutes later I wanted to reassemble and a bolt was missing. I looked,and looked it was nowhere to be found. Then I spotted the new puppy laying in the grass chewing on something, yep it was my bolt. I had to keep an eye on him until he aged a little. Would pick up every thing. Walking him once he found a dime to chew on.

[6]
[5] [7]