Ball Oiler

Based on multiple people saying the Reilang R003 is the be all, end all, I got one. My guess? They compromised quality because they are not great, not good, not even ok. More like between barely usable to terrible. The my goldenrod is leaps and bounds better. If it didn’t drip all the time I’ll give it a thumbs up.
Something must be wrong with your oiler. I have three Reilangs including the R003 and they are by far the best performing and have the highest quality components. Call the seller and discuss your issues.

I've been contemplating getting a Reeling double-pump for some time, having seen them in use by Keith Appleton; based on the addition reports in this thread, I pulled the trigger. Blackgates (my first choice) didn't have any in stock and didn't know when to expect them. I ended up going to Jens Putzier Tools (thanks, @davidpbest) and ordering both an R003-253 and a 01.121.AV Hand-Push Oiler (pricey, but Keith & @Chipper5783 both like it) plus some spare parts to make the best use of the shipping charges. I'll post once I have received and tried them out.

Is there some way to replace ball oilers?
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I find that either the spring goes bad and the ball gets stuck way down inside there, or they fill with swarf and just clog. The one sitting top and center on my cross slide seems to be a magnet for fine swarf and dust. One of the two on the Bridgeport 12" rotary table I just cleaned up is a useless basket case. Just a ball rolling around in a tiny tin can.
How long are ball oilers expected to live?

Is there some way to replace ball oilers?
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I find that either the spring goes bad and the ball gets stuck way down inside there, or they fill with swarf and just clog. The one sitting top and center on my cross slide seems to be a magnet for fine swarf and dust. One of the two on the Bridgeport 12" rotary table I just cleaned up is a useless basket case. Just a ball rolling around in a tiny tin can.
How long are ball oilers expected to live?
I just use a screw , either wood or machine screw, and screw it in and pull them out.
if really bad I'll take an extractor to remove the sleeve.
most are brass , some are brass chromed

For $130 a copy, I think a push oiler sounds like a good lathe project. What would it take, some scrap material and an o-ring?

For $130 a copy, I think a push oiler sounds like a good lathe project. What would it take, some scrap material and an o-ring?
And a fancy pump: I'll let you know once mine arrives next week.

Some pictures; dimensions will cost you (I have to come up with $130 somehow ;)).

Back