Ball Peen Hammer

Claw hammers have hardened faces generally. If you're hitting something other than a nail or wood with it, don't be terribly surprised when you fracture it and you get a chunk of steel in your eye.
Most hammers have hardened faces.

And the hammer on hammer thing is a well debunked myth.

Hammer heads are hard, but not hard enough to spall when contacting each other.

Simply looking at all the dimples on the face of a well user hammer will reveal this.

Myth busters also did an episode on this.

If you never used the ball end then what is the difference of having a claw end that you never use in the shop. I have near 30 hammers. I use the closest one that is around the right size for the job at hand.

I often use the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Even though I very rarely use solid rivets.

If you never used the ball end then what is the difference of having a claw end that you never use in the shop. I have near 30 hammers. I use the closest one that is around the right size for the job at hand.

I often use the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Even though I very rarely use solid rivets.
I sure hope the closest one isn't a hatchet !

Claw hammers face is flatter than a ball peen hammers face which is convex .
Go strick them on a price of softwood to leave an impression you can compare.

One of the guys on the crew that framed my house had a hatchet that he used as a hammer... he could sink a 16p nail with one swing...

I kept waiting for him to lose an ear on the upswing, though...

-Bear

I use the ball end for all sorts of stuff
On steel oil pans , ball end to tap the bolt holes “flat”
The ball end fits nice in some ball joint recesses and you can hammer the ball out.
Shaping metal
The ball works pretty well if you place it in the center of s worn hex bolt head and displace some material to get a better bite with a socket

My #1 issue with hammer heads in general is what to do with them when they break? Often the cost of a nice new handle is about the cost of a new hammer.

The ball works pretty well if you place it in the center of s worn hex bolt head and displace some material to get a better bite with a socket
That's a great tip!

My #1 issue with hammer heads in general is what to do with them when they break? Often the cost of a nice new handle is about the cost of a new hammer.
Make your own: start with hardwood dowels or strips, carve out the shape with a draw knife & finish with a spoke shave – great opportunity for new tools!!

Back