Ball Peen Hammer

That's a great tip!

Make your own: start with hardwood dowels or strips, carve out the shape with a draw knife & finish with a spoke shave – great opportunity for new tools!!
I went to a local “hardwood” lumber yard…..lets say on a local level its cheaper to buy handles, lol

If you never used the ball end then what is the difference of having a claw end that you never use in the shop.
As noted above, the face is ground differently.

A ball peen hammer is using steel and tempering for striking steel that is harder and bulkier than common soft nails.

Use what is comfortable for you, and you will be fine. If you prefer the 'best fit' tool for the job, then a claw hammer is for nails, and a ball peen hammer is for metal fabrication.

there you are.

Hey @RJSakowski I love my 3 fencing tools! they are useful for more than just fencing!

That's a great tip!

Make your own: start with hardwood dowels or strips, carve out the shape with a draw knife & finish with a spoke shave – great opportunity for new tools!!
I make my own from hickory or black locust. I last did this to replace the broken handles on garden forks and a garden rake.

I went to a local “hardwood” lumber yard…..lets say on a local level its cheaper to buy handles, lol
You could go back to your roots (literally) and fell a suitable tree, saw & split into billets, dry them and proceed. Wood (get it?) only take a couple of years.

Or you could ask @RJSakowski if he would make them for you.

You could go back to your roots (literally) and fell a suitable tree, saw & split into billets, dry them and proceed. Wood (get it?) only take a couple of years.

You wouldn't want to pay the price! I have a personal hangup with paying the price for a tool handle that is as much as that for a new tool. OTOH, I also have a hangup with throwing out a good tool simply because a part has failed. Fortunately, I am retired so there's not that big an issue with spending time. The biggest problem is finding a suitable candidate for a replacement . Once that is done, the rest is just an hour or sodueing those long winter days when it's too cold to go outside.

I should add that when I do a job for someone else, I either charge a going rate or I do it with no charge. I won't cheapen my work by giving discount rates. Favors for friends goes both ways. I could charge a reduced rate or the recipient could pay me a going rate.

Usually, I will ask for a donation for any material costs but for the remainder, I tell them to pass the favor on to the next guy. There are those that always seem to be taking and never giving. For those, I will charge or simply say I haven't the time.

Nothing around here but pines and scrub oaks…
The heads needing handles will continue to be paper weights. Non are of any vintage history
I can still buy the 5 piece set for under $50

I pick up new handles at estate and garage sales. They are very cheap there, but you end up with many that don't fit what you have. I haven't tried trading, but that might make sense.

Old axe handles often have enough good wood left in them to make a few hammer handles. An axe collector may give away broken or weathered handles.

You wouldn't want to pay the price! I have a personal hangup with paying the price for a tool handle that is as much as that for a new tool. OTOH, I also have a hangup with throwing out a good tool simply because a part has failed. Fortunately, I am retired so there's not that big an issue with spending time. The biggest problem is finding a suitable candidate for a replacement . Once that is done, the rest is just an hour or sodueing those long winter days when it's too cold to go outside.
Didn't pay more than the cost of a head, but close – if you look at the hammer hanging on the pegboard in the third photo of my previous post in this thread, you'll see one I bought simply because it is beautiful (oh, it's very functional, too, but like most tools, I didn't really need it):

Niroc  Knockometer.jpeg
Niroc "Knockometer," with the upgraded Osage Osage handle.

I got mine early this year before Corin had his website (the prices have come down a mite) after learning about them from one of Neil's videos (Pask Makes).

Back