Ball Peen Hammer

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just curious how many actually use the ball end of their Ball Peen Hammers and what do they use it for. Best I can remember making gaskets is about the only time mine gets used. And I might add when I see someone using a carpenter's claw hammer in a machine shop, I just look the other way. That is considered Blasphemy!

I've got about 30 ball peens in all and have never used the ball end of one of them . Then again , I've never used the other end of them either . :grin: With all the hammers lying around , I could restock MSC and McMaster Carr .

Riveting is the most frequent use of the ball end. If you do sheet metal work, it is useful (in the larger diameters with a soft touch) for shaping compound curves. And then there is the "hammered" look that is easily created with the ball end.
DanK

Just curious how many actually use the ball end of their Ball Peen Hammers and what do they use it for. Best I can remember making gaskets is about the only time mine gets used. And I might add when I see someone using a carpenter's claw hammer in a machine shop, I just look the other way. That is considered Blasphemy!
Seeing a claw hammer in a mechanic shop is a Red flag, also......

I use my ball peen hammers quite often, They are the best tool for setting a rivet as you need to work the outside of the rivet to properly form the rivet head. If you set the rivet with a flat face, you will mushroom the head but there is a good chance that you will start cracks around the edge of the head resulting in a weaker rivet.

Seeing a claw hammer in a mechanic shop is a Red flag, also......
I am curious as to why it is an anathema to have a claw hammer in a machine shop. It sounds like hammer snobbery. You don't have to use the claw and the flat face is just as effective at striking a surface as a ball peen, or any other steel faced hammer.

I have dozens of hammers of all types and sizes. Ball peens, cross peens, straight peens engineer's, rounding hammers, along with claw hammers in my hammer collection. When I am punching out a pin, I will grab the closest hammer at hand that is the right size.

Back