Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

Very nice!
I think that is about the perfect sized working envelope.
I'm not sure about your trailer tho ;)
My friend lent the trailer to me. The former owner told me the lathe weighs 1800#. The info I received earlier in this thread says about 3000#. It was heavy as heck. About 1000# more than the trailer rating.

My friend lent the trailer to me. The former owner told me the lathe weighs 1800#. The info I received earlier in this thread says about 3000#. It was heavy as heck. About 1000# more than the trailer rating.
Are you sure about that weight?
I have a similar vintage/size lathe but mine is only 14.5 X 30
It weighs in closer to 4K than 3K.
I'm thinking you might check over his trailer well before you return it. ;)

Good find and nice lathe! Congratulation, you will like it. I have a milling fixture that mounts to the tee-slots for my Hamilton, which is a similar build.

Unfortunately the ways looked significantly better covered in rust.....
There is significant wear evidenced by the steps in the two V ways the carriage rides on, right at the base of the V on both sides of both ways. It will most likely be perfectly fine for short lengths and faces.

It is 88 years old and $300. I'm still hoping it runs well because it will still do good work assuming I do my part. Very little of my projects are long cuts on long shafts.

I have a similar sized lathe but another brand. Took it over a truck scale on the way home. It was 2200 lb. Can’t see 4000 lb of metal there. Those little single axle trailers will do 3500 lb OK. Have hauled that much scrap.
That’s a really nice lathe. Those are a lot more fun than push button stuff. You are lucky to have correct chuck. Probably a difficult find.

Last edited:
I just moved her in. She needs lots of love and I have it to give. Too tired to leave much in the way of comments. So far it seems in tact as far as the gears and levers.

Looks to be a 15" x 40" if I'm measuring correctly. Serial number indicates around 1936 or 1937.

Carroll Jamieson Machine Tool Company. Batavia Ohio. I gave $300.

View attachment 482897

View attachment 482898

View attachment 482899
As 30+ year OTR flat bed trucker I cringe when I see pictures like that w/no padding under the straps over sharp edges.
A quick, violent & unexpected abrupt stop would send that obviously HEAVY machine right into your back pocket.
Not good, not to mention a citation for improper load securement should a DOT officer spot it.

Back