Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

As 30+ year OTR flat bed trucker I cringe when I see pictures like that w/no padding under the straps over sharp edges.
A quick, violent & unexpected abrupt stop would send that obviously HEAVY machine right into your back pocket.
Not good, not to mention a citation for improper load securement should a DOT officer spot it.

When loading up my (1000 lb) lathe, into the bed of a pickup truck, I was fumbling around with the straps in such a way that one of the sellers quickly jumped up into the truck, taking pity on my obviously inept rigging skills, and helped me out. And I'm so grateful that he did. It took us a while, but the load was rock solid and comfortably made it home. There is no doubt that rigging is a learned skill.

As 30+ year OTR flat bed trucker I cringe when I see pictures like that w/no padding under the straps over sharp edges.
A quick, violent & unexpected abrupt stop would send that obviously HEAVY machine right into your back pocket.
Not good, not to mention a citation for improper load securement should a DOT officer spot it.
I drove 4 miles at 25 mph. No sharp edges.....try not to over react. It wasn't going anywhere.

I have a similar sized lathe but another brand. Took it over a truck scale on the way home. It was 2200 lb. Can’t see 4000 lb of metal there. Those little single axle trailers will do 3500 lb OK. Have hauled that much scrap.
That’s a really nice lathe. Those are a lot more fun than push button stuff. You are lucky to have correct chuck. Probably a difficult find.
The very first response had the weight in the file he posted. I knew it was heavy but dang

I drove 4 miles at 25 mph. No sharp edges.....try not to over react. It wasn't going anywhere.
Easy now, don't be that guy......

I would have used some cardboard folded up under the strap where it meets the machine simply to help with the longevity of the strap and the forces of synching it down regardless of travel distance.

In any case, the trailer most likely has a 3500lbs axle and I don't see 3500lbs of machine there.

Mine is listed in the company specs as quite a bit heavier than it weighted when I transported it. Usually this meant it shipped with 2 chucks, a face plate, wrenches, crates.

Easy now, don't be that guy......

I would have used some cardboard folded up under the strap where it meets the machine simply to help with the longevity of the strap and the forces of synching it down regardless of travel distance.

In any case, the trailer most likely has a 3500lbs axle and I don't see 3500lbs of machine there.
The guy who had it said 1800 lbs. The instructions said 3000 lbs. Probably crate plus accessories. Pretty heavy.

Those straps are going around smooth radius edges on the ways. Right now, I'm not being "that guy". Everybody can't wait to "gotcha' but there wasn't one.

Mine is listed in the company specs as quite a bit heavier than it weighted when I transported it. Usually this meant it shipped with 2 chucks, a face plate, wrenches, crates.
You're probably right

Back