Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

I've learned a ton about this lathe so far. They had the clutch set pretty tight. I learned how to adjust it to factory spec. We will see if it needs further adjustment.

The 12" 3 jaw chuck has seen better days. It was full of crud and chips. Now it's lightly greased and moving well. The jaws are slightly sprung. I chucked up a turned piece and indicated it. A light tap in to true and a little extra snug up and it held straight within 0.003" on both ends. I'll take it......super pleased. Just straight chucking up was not a good look.

No reverse jaws for this chuck. I'd be happy with a 4 jaw once I know what size of chuck adapter to buy. Possibly 2 3/8" I read somewhere.

Last edited:
I think you would be safe to back that chuck off under power, I have a 19" Regal Leblond not much newer than the CJ and do it routinely.

I measured the damaged spindle nose this morning. The nose is 0.0055" under size. The shoulder needs trued.

The 3 jaw backing plate is 0.004" oversized. Lots of room for error there. No outside jaws so it won't work on many projects.

As of right now I'm thinking I'm just going to go with a 4 jaw so the undersized spindle nose will not matter. I get my outside jaws and no need to switch back and forth.

I'm getting ready to run to a surplus tooling place to see if they have a decent used 12" 4 jaw.

20240320_202713.jpg

Great picture there. That flare on the flange and the galling(?) damage are dramatic.

If the spindle bearings are (or get to be) in good shape, you could cleanup the OD (just enough to be certain of minimum TIR) and sleeve any backing plate/chuck for a match fit.

Just thinking out loud.

Great picture there. That flare on the flange and the galling(?) damage are dramatic.

If the spindle bearings are (or get to be) in good shape, you could cleanup the OD (just enough to be certain of minimum TIR) and sleeve any backing plate/chuck for a match fit.

Just thinking out loud.
I just found a really nice 12" Cushman 4 jaw for $120. I'd be happy with a 4 jaw. That diameter damage won't bother anything. Just need to face the shoulder.

When I got mine off I made sure to use antiseize when I put it back. Might not need a 12 inch chuck on that size lathe depending on what you are doing. A lot of weight to start and stop.

Back