Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

You made me get out of my chair and go out the the shop and tear my mill apart, took the better part of 2 minutes
Snort laugh. Your a good man. Thanks - pictures worth a 1000 words sorta thing... Now I get it. Nice solution - and nice hand wheel!
tighten the bolts, the end rings get closer together, which forces the OD ring out, and the ID ring in.
Ahhh! got it.
Note: set collar, also called shaft collar.
Shaft collars! why didn't you just say so!

Ok - some good ideas here. I will take on board and should be able to solve.
Found these while I was searching the corners of the internet earlier today.
Thought they might look nice.
Perhaps I could use them to run a lip seal around the shaft as well to keep bad things out.
Wide one would be X.
Other Z.
Cast aluminum.
Will keep in bank until I get closer to determining what I am going to do about the communist gray my machine is coated in. Enough to depress a man on a bad day of milling.Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.31.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.31.27 PM.png

Morning all.
Arrangements for pick up look to be for Wed. or Thurs.
Had a near miss on a lathe last night.
Morgan. 3 chucks. Fully tooled. $600.
Was the first to call - arranged to go pick it up - hopped in truck - drove 30 min - arrived and he said he just sold it to someone else...
Suspect I'm not the first to have one of those happen...
Frustrating of course - but other chances will arrive!

While I wait for the beast, I am prepping garage, and looking to fabricate a rolling stand.
This thing is gonna need to be beefy.
More on that in next post.
In mean time - looking for a bit of help.

My machine has no chuck of any kind.
Brochure says it's an ISO 40.
Would like to start searching for some used tooling - but in the dark.

Local add running: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/d/garden-grove-machine-shop-tools-for/7326386060.html
Is there anything there I "need"?
CAT 40, BT 40, sounds like my internet cable or British Telecom to me!IMG_1843.JPG
Welcome everyone's $.02 on basics I will want to outfit myself with.
As much specificity on fit as possible would be appreciated.
Am sure I will manage to do plenty of future collecting on this front.

Thanks!
-CM

40 taper is very common.
Well - that does seem like good news.
Embarrassingly - I'm so green - I don't know exactly how to get from the quill head (picture above) to an end mill.
I mean - I see collet holders and tool-less chucks that I imagine I am going to want - but...
They have codes and names, and Im not sure what sizes I would be best suited for.

That add I posted: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/tls/d/garden-grove-machine-shop-tools-for/7326386060.html has some different "40" sized tools - but I could use a primer on what CAT vs BT vs I.S.O means, what is a subset of what, etc. if anyone wants to help educate me a bit.
Was of course quietly hoping there are certain things in that listing that would be "Perfect for you! Grab them!"...

Thanks - and glad the prior post elicited a chuckle.
Suspect many have been there...

I bought a ER-40 tool holder with NT30. The collets (size range) fit into the tool holder allowing me to use any end mill within the collet range.

This is for your taper

1621960612728.png
1621960690775.png

Ok you guys.
Just enough finger grips for me to figure out what's what.
Thank you.

What I am understanding:
- The taper of my quill is 40T - I need a tool holder that fits.
- ER refers to the other end of the tool holder where the collet go.
- I should be searching for a set of ER collets and end mills - new or used - as a start.
Suspect some of you may have just placed your face in your palm...
Steep curve for me.

Assuming I have above correct, questions I'm still trying to get head around:
- From the looks of my spindle - there are two "dogs" that poke out and a threaded area for some kind of cap?
- Do all "40" tool holders match the dogs of my spindle - or do I need to search for NT40 or CAT40 or the like?
- If I set a few craigslist alerts, should I use other synonyms for "tool holder" ?

maxresdefault-3.jpg

Ok you guys.
Just enough finger grips for me to figure out what's what.
Thank you.

What I am understanding:
- The taper of my quill is 40T - I need a tool holder that fits.
- ER refers to the other end of the tool holder where the collet go.
- I should be searching for a set of ER collets and end mills - new or used - as a start.
Suspect some of you may have just placed your face in your palm...
Steep curve for me.

Assuming I have above correct, questions I'm still trying to get head around:
- From the looks of my spindle - there are two "dogs" that poke out and a threaded area for some kind of cap?
- Do all "40" tool holders match the dogs of my spindle - or do I need to search for NT40 or CAT40 or the like?
- If I set a few craigslist alerts, should I use other synonyms for "tool holder" ?

View attachment 367230
Hey,
It wasn't very long ago when I was asking the same questions.
If you are interested and have a passion to learn, you'll be coming along very quickly.
Once you spend your first $50,000 in the hobby, you'll have a much better handle on how to roll.
It's best not to take me seriously.

You will need some tool holders, but not those. For the most part you are going to want #40 to ER tool holders.

In the context of your machine, ISO, CAT, and BT tool holders are interchangeable.

That isn't precisely true.

The subject is covered, ad nauseum, on the web.

My understanding is, you could use either of those standards in an ISO40 spindle if you also exchange the drawbar.
In other words, the drawbar designed to pull one holder will not work on another.

Linked is a compilation of information on various spindle tapers.

Back