Beauty in The Beast: Webb 5BVK Barn Find/Conversion

I have plenty of other stuff to be confused over so all is well. Dave
Chuckled.
Thanks to all that are hand holding here.
Lest you think you are only taking on a liability - there is definitely a component of "teach a man to fish" that is occurring.
(I would be the learning fisherman in this analogy)

Jim helped me set this VFD up - and spec'd it for me.
Has worked very well.
Yes, 208 single phase! A 220 volt motor would be perfectly happy even if you had a little voltage drop.
Thanks Firstram.
Plan to keep the wire run fairly short (20').
Excited to get it all back up and running and focus on machine upgrades.

Electrician came today.
Have too many other projects on the move to tackle this myself right now - and I want to get back online.

He is quoting a 20 amp and 40 amp option.
I don't know how meaningful an upgrade cost the 40 is yet.
My tag (below, 14amps@220V) suggests that a 20 amp would be sufficient ?
I assume 208 would be a little higher amperage - so perhaps 15 or 16?
Welcome other's input on this.
Thanks,
-CM
IMG_2414 2-2-2.JPG

Been some time...
Long update here - and a question at the very end.

I am moved into my shop - and have put in a huge effort to organize and set up.
Not complete - but pretty close and feels great to have the space.

Short video here if you want a laugh.
Not going to win any directing awards...

I'm getting 215V single phase from my "209V 3phase" breaker box.
As had been suggested by others - the VFD (who's documents said it would be fine) is in fact fine.
The machine is alive!

My 10EE lathe is suffering a self inflicted electrical issue - and I spent a lot of time this month learning about how to fix it.
Rebuilding SCR's and testing control board.
Sent control board out to have it checked by the original manufacturer.
Great warm up project before tackling the 5BVK CNC project.

With some time finally to focus on the mill - the first thing I tackled was the central oiling system.
The system is gummed up and the motor doesn't work.
Its been okay hand oiling while I used it as a manual mill - but I don't want to run it CNC without being sure everything is well lubricated.

Started by tearing down the central pump reservoir and cleaning some nasty ancient oil out.
Results below - not very pretty. - but the reservoir has been cleaned and fresh way oil has been filled.

IMG_1973.JPG

I put power to the motor - but jumping the two wires to the two hot legs coming in to the machine - but it didn't turn.
IMG_1939.JPGI was able to just pull the priming handle though - and it pumped nicely.
After some flushing and compressed air, all of the oil ports on the X/Y/Z axis are flowing nicely.
The line that fed the head - and its distribution block - had been disconnected - so I dug in to that.
There is good access in the head casing at the top here

IMG_1950.JPG

And I was able to get my hands inside the head casting and remove the distribution block for cleaning and inspection.
IMG_1949 2.JPG
I found that the block has some metering fittings with check valves. After some cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner - I was able to get them operating again. However - I noted that 2 were marked with a 3, and one was marked with a 00.
CPV 3
CPB 3
PSS 00

The 00 did not want to flow anything.
I also noted that the 00 was a different brand - and wonder if it was original or a "replaced in the moment" option.IMG_1952 2.JPGI used a needle drill to boar slightly larger passages - and managed to get some flow - but I plan to replace it. Does anyone know the original specs for these 3 metering pieces?

I did have one weird surprise. I found a thin wire inside the feed tube to this upper block.
It had a green section and a white section and was about 3' long.
The green section had texture.
I suspect someone was cleaning out the line with it at some point - and lost it in there.
Here you can see the white section poking out!
IMG_1956.JPG

While working on getting the quill and spindle feeds going - I noticed a plug I hadn't seen before.
Its at the front - and looks like an oiling hole access point?
IMG_1968.JPG

And here is a close up inside the hole the plug is in. Is that a check valve maybe? Is this a second place that the central oil can be fed into?
IMG_1966.JPG
The oil system is now working very nicely - tho it would be nice to get etc pump motor working/replaced.
Many of the lines are in mediocre shape - and I would like to replace.
Found the OD to be about 4mm on the metal lines.
The nuts on the end are either 8mm or 10.5mm (not a typo...)
So maybe they are even a SAE size?!
Can anyone shed some light on what size lines I likely have?
Thanks!
-CM

little more time today - so tackled the old upper box.
Readers of this thread may remember (or very well may not) that I was not a fan of the Night Rider style electronics that sat above and to the right of the machine.
Here is a shot of it from my old garage.IMG_2388.JPG
The box cut off a lot of light - and was at the perfect level to hit my head on when working around the side of the machine.
Note the large electrical box on the side - opens from the back - which is inconvenient as well.
Jim suggested I not just hack the wires - as some went to controls - so I took the time to mark and disconnect the controls and pull the wires back down to the big lower box.
In fact - in many cases - I was able to remove the control buttons themselves (coolant selector/on/off, main power, ...) and keep them on the ends of the wires.

IMG_1997.JPG
To knock down the amount of dust from using my cut off wheel - I first chipped away at the 1/2 of bondo.
Then I removed the box from the support arm (which turned out to be a tad heavier than anticipated...) and cut round the base of the arm.
IMG_2001 3.JPG

And it's gone.IMG_2003.JPG

Next up - collect the last bits of needed stuff for the conversion.

Can anyone help with the central oil fitting size question from prior post?
~4mm outer tube diameter on the hardline sections.
- 8mm wrench fitting on small nuts.
- 10.5mm (or some SAE equivalent?) for the larger nuts over ferrels.
Trying to determine what size replacement flexible and hard lines I would need.
Thanks.
-CM

Attachments

• IMG_2001 3.JPG
    IMG_2001 3.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 3
I think these guys are top drawer in your type of lube system.
Try them for info.
McMaster-Carr for your tube needs.

I think these guys are top drawer in your type of lube system.
Try them for info.
McMaster-Carr for your tube needs.

Thanks Extropic.
Will flip some stones and see what I can learn.

Ok - looks like what I have are considered 4mm lines.
I will have to pull one of the metering units out again to determine if they are metric or SAE.
Thanks to Ext for the tip.

Jim:
I've gone through my boxes to see what I have from our initial list.
- Gallil controller
- Cables (see pic below)
- Break out boards (showing only 3 of them, but I have 8 - see pic below.)
IMG_2038 2.JPG
IMG_2037 2.JPG
Perhaps we don't need the break out boards listed below?
Let me know - I will finally get the other stuff in.

QTY 1 Power cable for above
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/2451350220/6564767
2 Position Cable Assembly Rectangular Socket to Socket 6.56' (2.00m)
Mini-Fit Jr 245135

QTY 4 Encoder connectors
DB15HD Slim Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering
DB15HD Male Connector:
BRKSD15HDM-C. Needed still?

QTY 1 I/O connector
DB44HD Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering
DB44HD Female Right Angle Connector:
BRKDD44HDFV2-R-DIN Needed still?

QTY 1 I/O connector
DB44HD Male Right Angle Connector:
BRKDD44HDMV2-R-DIN

QTY 2 Cables for I/O connectors Needed still? (think I got with the unit - see pic above).

Amphenol CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5 44-Pin (HD44) Deluxe HD D-Sub Cable - Copper Shielded - Male / Female 2.5ft

Buy 2.5ft Amphenol CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5 Cables Direct from the Factory at Cables on Demand. 44-pin (HD44) Copper Shielded High Density Male/Female D-Sub Cables by Amphenol provide exceptional performance in commercial, industrial or enterprise applications where longevity and repeated disconnects...
cablesondemand.com
cablesondemand.com
44-PIN (HD44) DELUXE HD D-SUB CABLE - COPPER SHIELDED - MALE / FEMALE
CS-DSDHD44MF0-002.5

QTY 1 Not required but nice to have. I have this same one on my lathe and have beat the hell out of it, it is still alive after two years of abuse.
www.ebay.com

Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel & Emergency Stop for Siemens US xs90* | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel & Emergency Stop for Siemens US xs90* at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com
Universal CNC 4 Axis MPG Pendant Handwheel This particular link is dead. I found others - here is another link. is this for the right system though? Did not find Siemens xs90, only "FAGOR" or "GSK"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1633177693...HhOO3zQFU3SgmLPkUhPKpz6zmA==|tkp:BFBMqpuFo9xh

QTY 1 Relay interface for digital outputs
Amazon.com
5V Relay Module with Optocoupler Isolation

Found this: https://www.amazon.com/AEDIKO-Chann...ule+with+optocoupler+isolation,aps,196&sr=8-6

QTY 1
Any Win7 or Win10 computer or laptop, I prefer a Mini PC. keyboard, mouse, monitor, and ethernet cable
Amazon.com : mini computer

is win 10 pro good or should I stick with just win 10.
Here is a nice looking one...
I'm sure I can find others.

Thanks!
-CM

I'm watching this closely. I have a VMC I'm looking at rebuilding so this is fascinating and relevant to me, even though my approach will be somewhat different. Looking forward to learning with you.

Back