Belt grinder project

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I'm building a belt grinder for general metal work and tool sharpening. I have the belt pulleys made. 2" x 6" dia for the drive pulley, and 2" x 4" for the idler/adjustment pulley. The idler pulley has Fafnir German bearings with Teflon spacers. I'm looking for a specific motor to power it, and that is what has brought the project to a halt. They are available new, but are very expensive, so I've been watching CL, eBay, and a couple of other auction sites hoping to snag a used one. It is a 3/4 HP, 3450 RPM, 56C frame, 115v, TEFC housing motor. The 56C frame has mounting holes on the shaft side flange, and that is the key to this design. Here are a couple pictures of the design. I like it because of it's simplicity and small footprint. My poor garage doesn't have much space left. This isn't mine, but mine will look very much like this:

beltsander001.jpgbeltsander002.jpg

The pulleys are done, except for broaching the keyway and drilling/tapping the set screw on the drive pulley. I found a great deal on a nearly new duMont keyway broach on CL, so I can't wait to find the right motor so I can finish the project.

IMG_20140211_203144_388.jpgIMG_20140211_203250_808.jpg

GG

beltsander001.jpg beltsander002.jpg IMG_20140211_203144_388.jpg IMG_20140211_203250_808.jpg

Hi GG,
I like the design of the idler pulley adjustment. Mine is the same and I copied it off a Baldor (which I couldn't afford) and it works great. Yes motors are expensive and sometimes patience or luck is required. If I see one at a decent price I usually buy it, I recently put into service a 2.5 HP 3450 rpm motor which I bought for $100 in the 1990's.
Michael

:thumbsup: Excellent, what a great project.

Try here they have pretty good prices and free shipping on some items.

http://stores.ebay.com/PTJ-Industrial?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I checked, and they do have exactly the motor I'm looking for. Free shipping too. $174 was more than I was hoping to pay, but for a brand new motor it is a good price. I bookmarked it, and will start saving up. Thank you!

GG

- - - Updated - - -

Hi GG,
I like the design of the idler pulley adjustment. Mine is the same and I copied it off a Baldor (which I couldn't afford) and it works great. Yes motors are expensive and sometimes patience or luck is required. If I see one at a decent price I usually buy it, I recently put into service a 2.5 HP 3450 rpm motor which I bought for $100 in the 1990's.
Michael

I thought the whole design was simple and elegant, and liked it from the start.

I finished cutting the pulleys last summer, and have been watching for the right motor. You're right, patience and luck play a big part. I had a 1 1/2 HP Baldor motor that I got at an auction for $40, and it would have worked perfectly, but I used it on a different machine and then ended up selling that machine. 1 1/2 HP was more than what I need for this, but the price was right!

Thanks!

GG

We have built 3 of these some years back and they work great. Mine is in storage at the moment but will be back in place before long. Need some good weather. tommie

I really like this design. Is there a set of plans available somewhere?

Thanks,

-Ron

Guess I'll have to save those pictures as well. :thumbzup:

Thanks much,

-Ron

Back