Belt grinder project

Re: Will it blow up in my face?

Anyone have any thoughts on why these could not be used for the wheels?
Just peal the Polyurethane off, machine a crown and adapted to your shaft!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400180341423?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I use a 6" drive wheel that I crowned the poly on. Mine has a cast iron center. I removed the bearing built an aluminum spacer to fit my shaft. A wheel already aluminum would be nicer to work with.

The 8" in the pic is also cast. I use it with it's bearing on the work end.CIMG2183.JPG

CIMG2183.JPG

I was scared the cast wheel would be to heavy!
Or:
Maybe a fly wheel would be a good thing?
Furpo

I was scared the cast wheel would be to heavy!
Or:
Maybe a fly wheel would be a good thing?
Furpo

I bought from the same ebayer. I bought 3" wide is why it is cast iron I guess.
Can't tell any difference in driving wheel weight wise (I'm using 1 1/2 hp 1750rpm) I have an 8"x2" spoked with rubber (solid) that I also crowned. then the 6" in previous post and a 4" that I built out of nylon.
The big 8" idler is where you notice a difference, when you shut the machine off it turns inside the sanding belt for a couple of seconds.

Very interesting thread. I've made a copy of the KMG but am really looking into my next project which is the TW90 grinder, the tilt table does it for me. I've got several photos to work off but no measurements. Has anyone got some plans or even sketches with dimensions they can send me.

Thanks
Dino

I looked at the plans and ask this. Is there a reason that the two pulleys are not aligned up and down? The top pulley center line is forward of the bottom pulley center line. I understand that they cannot be in a direct line but at the same time the belt should be streaght up and down. In the picture the belt is canted forward at the top pulley.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
OK -- I just finished drawing the assembly full size. In order to get the belt straight vertically using a 4" upper pulley and a 6" lower pulley, you need to change the 3" dimension center and front hole to 2 9/16" on the "Upper Wheel Mounting Rocker. Everything else can stay the same.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back