Belt grinder project

Here's an alternative design that uses a standard base mount motor. I've built more than a dozen of these since the early 70's. The original is still running in the shop of a friend of a friend. I've used 56, 143(t), 66, 184 frame motors with slight adjustments to the dimensions. I did a full set of cad drawings in autocad sometime back in the 90's, but unfortunately, they seem to be misplaced!

Bob

IMG_20140214_101430_508 (Medium).jpg IMG_20140214_101444_147 (Medium).jpg IMG_20140214_101502_166 (Medium).jpg

Nice work! Where did you find the cast aluminum alloy lamp shade? I know that these used to be fitted to Rockwell/Delta products. In "the day" they were available as spare parts, albeit rather pricey. If there is a contemporary source, that would be great. They are small enough to stay out of the field of view of the operator. They do get really hot....

I really like your stage on the last post. I need to work up something like that for my "imitation" Baldor tool grinder; just being lazy for the moment. What is the machine adjacent to the belt grinder?
Thanks, Geoff Morgan

bjmh46, did you use a 1725 or 3450 RPM motor? How much difference do you think it would make on a belt grinder? I've been holding out for 3450 because most bench grinders are that speed, and with a 6" drive wheel my cutting speeds should be similar... but that is an uneducated guess on my part. Thanks for your thoughts.

GG

The lamp is a Delta "retirement" lamp as they are called on the old woodworking machines forum. I bought it new sometime in the late 70's or early 80's at a local Delta/Rockwell dealer.

The machine to the left of the belt grinder is a hand operated shear. 16ga. x 10 inch capacity. I think it's a DiAcro.

The machine to the right is my swivel head bandsaw, also ho-made. You just barely see the lower frame.

I've used both 1725, and 3450 rpm motors. The two belt grinders I have in the shop right now both use 1725's. My lower drive wheels are fabricated from 6 inch schedule 40 pipe, and the finish diameter is about 6.5". This gives a belt speed of about 3000 SFPM. Conventional wisdom says you should use 6000 for metal and 3000 for wood. I've worked both mediums at both speeds, and for me, the 1725 motor giving 3000 SFPM works the best for the type of work I do. I do use open coat belts for wood, and closed coat for metal and I do probably 10 times as much metal as I do wood on these machines. You can see just the top of my drill grinding fixture sticking up behind the motor (in it's storage location). If there's any interest, I can install it and snap a pic.

Regards
Bob

The lamp is a Delta "retirement" lamp as they are called on the old woodworking machines forum. I bought it new sometime in the late 70's or early 80's at a local Delta/Rockwell dealer.

The machine to the left of the belt grinder is a hand operated shear. 16ga. x 10 inch capacity. I think it's a DiAcro.

The machine to the right is my swivel head bandsaw, also ho-made. You just barely see the lower frame.

I've used both 1725, and 3450 rpm motors. The two belt grinders I have in the shop right now both use 1725's. My lower drive wheels are fabricated from 6 inch schedule 40 pipe, and the finish diameter is about 6.5". This gives a belt speed of about 3000 SFPM. Conventional wisdom says you should use 6000 for metal and 3000 for wood. I've worked both mediums at both speeds, and for me, the 1725 motor giving 3000 SFPM works the best for the type of work I do. I do use open coat belts for wood, and closed coat for metal and I do probably 10 times as much metal as I do wood on these machines. You can see just the top of my drill grinding fixture sticking up behind the motor (in it's storage location). If there's any interest, I can install it and snap a pic.

Regards
Bob
Thanks! Of course, I thought immediately that I had found a new source for an item that was made with quality. As the tired old cliche' says: They just don't make them like they used to.
Geoff

We’ve always use motors of Jet water pumps. Usually find on garage sales that have been left out side and the pump is frozen and busted.
There all 3450 RPM

3450 RPM with my 6" drive pulley will give me 5416.5 FPM belt speed. I plan to use it primarily for metal. If 6000 FPM is considered a good speed for metal, I'm in the ballpark.

I ran across a 1725 RPM motor, but think I might be better off waiting for a 3450 to come along. Spring is almost here (so they say), and maybe I can find a jet pump motor once the garage sales come into season.

I like the idea of a new motor, but I don't want this to be a large $$ project.

Thank you!

GG

I'm building a belt grinder for general metal work and tool sharpening. I have the belt pulleys made. 2" x 6" dia for the drive pulley, and 2" x 4" for the idler/adjustment pulley. The idler pulley has Fafnir German bearings with Teflon spacers. I'm looking for a specific motor to power it, and that is what has brought the project to a halt. They are available new, but are very expensive, so I've been watching CL, eBay, and a couple of other auction sites hoping to snag a used one. It is a 3/4 HP, 3450 RPM, 56C frame, 115v, TEFC housing motor. The 56C frame has mounting holes on the shaft side flange, and that is the key to this design. Here are a couple pictures of the design. I like it because of it's simplicity and small footprint. My poor garage doesn't have much space left. This isn't mine, but mine will look very much like this:

View attachment 69798View attachment 69799

The pulleys are done, except for broaching the keyway and drilling/tapping the set screw on the drive pulley. I found a great deal on a nearly new duMont keyway broach on CL, so I can't wait to find the right motor so I can finish the project.

View attachment 69800View attachment 69801

GG

As a motor source possibility try "Googling" Surplus Center. They have had some reasonable prices. They're in Lincoln, Nebraska.. Bunches of other stuff too.

Re: Will it blow up in my face?

Anyone have any thoughts on why these could not be used for the wheels?
Just peal the Polyurethane off, machine a crown and adapted to your shaft!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400180341423?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Might not be a need to remove the poly at all, and if left on, those wheels would not even need a crown machined on them, as they come with a rounded tread face when new. They may even have too much crown!

I believe they would work just fine without blowing up, but there is only one way to find out: mount one on a motor, mount the whole thing in a safe place outdoors, stretch out a long cord and plug it in from a safe distance. I am pretty sure that the worst thing to happen would be for the poly tire to start to separate from the aluminum hub. I am pretty sure that the aluminum wheels would hold up just fine.

When I was in high school some of the guys built belt sanders using a three wheel design. All three wheels were cast in our own small foundry then turned on the lathe. They worked just fine.

Back