Besides tools and equipment , what do we all collect ?

You have to admit that except for maybe Jay Leno, having 24 things with wheels under them puts you in the big league!
[That's not counting tractors, trailers, and lawnmowers]!
my neighbor has a huge collection of motorcycles, only 4 lots south of me.
Another local has a car collection of super cars. I don't know him, but I read about him.
While Leno is at the top of the collectors, there are many other similar people that might be hiding near you and you not even know it.

Apparently I collect two wheeled vehicles; motorcycles and bicycles... last count was two motorcycles (one running one not) and five bicycles (three road, one hybrid and one MTB)

@John O My dream car ws the Corvair my Dad but sold before I had my drivers licence. It was a red sports model from '68. It felt like an Italian sports car.

I seem to collect oddities, from a hand operated ringer to a 2000 year old fertility symbol - far too many to mention.

Wooden nickels, whenever I go to a place that uses them I’ll buy one for the collection. I have more back in Michigan.

D0F1340C-FE18-4DCD-9FEE-B056C72B703F.jpeg

I used to have British cars but these take up less space.

John

Have been where I am now for 39yrs, and will be here until they find me dead on the porch. I have acquired an additional 15 acres, so plenty of room. Mike

One thought, how recently have each of you moved? Miscellaneous collections get harder to maintain across relocation. I moved a little over 400 miles about 3-4 years ago, moved everything myself using our trailers and pickup. That involved a lot of trips to the dump to cull some of the stuff.

I guess I collect books. I have as many read books in my house as unread.
I seem to collect broken things. I think I have 6 bench vises that are all waiting on me to repair. I threw away three dial indicators today, that I'd "saved" from a dumpster last year.
Files! I've got more files than any 4 men might need. Hammers...Got a bushel basket of those. Chisels and punches? A hundred pounds worth at least. High speed steel.... where did it even come from? I can only remember buying it once, but I found it in 6 different drawers across three tool boxes today.
6" scales... found five of them.
It seems like... and I don't really know this for a fact. But it seems like I'm not so much a hoarder, as a person who forgets he bought something, and so, buys it again...and again...ad infinitum.

There are as many "bits and pieces" of stuff as there are people. I am a "hoarder" as much as any other hoarder. Any item that serves no apparent purpose to the world at large does serve a purpose to the person that is hanging on to it. At one time, I had several coins that all told were worth about a half dollar. But those coins were "mementos' of my time in South America and the South Pacific. An aluminium coin that was received in change for a beer in Tahiti. . . Its' value was about a half cent at the time, but it held memories of somewhere I had been. I have many such mementos, having traveled widely in my younger years.

I build model trains. Over the years, I have developed a propensity against plastic models. Although they are often more correctly detailed, to me they are little more than toys. My models are more often metal and/or wood, with plastics used only for electrical insulation. This is a point that is important to me, but is meaningless to the world at large and only marginally interesting to another model train nut as "antiques".

My shop includes metal and woodworking equipment. Both are directly related to my model trains, although the machines do get used for other hobbies. I recently acquired a collet chuck that I may well never use. But it is an unusual device that cannot be acquired these days. If I do need it, I'll have it on hand rather than scouring the world for weeks on end until I've forgotten why I wanted it.
It seems like... and I don't really know this for a fact. But it seems like I'm not so much a hoarder, as a person who forgets he bought something, and so, buys it again...and again...ad infinitum.
I don't "forget" much of anything. But I have multiple 6" scales, each one different in some way. One calibrated in 64ths, another in 50ths. One with "archaic" machine screw sizes, another with scales particular to model trains. One that resides on the lathe tool shelf where I don't need to find one when I need one. Then there are the items that I catch on the way to a scrap bin. I don't collect such items, but if it is something I don't have, and may someday use, I "stash" one and maybe a second for spare parts.

All of this is me personally and has no relationship to the rest of the world. And is so for most everyone else, whether they collect machine tooling, or coins, or stamps, or old newspapers. And "purging" that collection of stuff is as individual as why it was saved in the first place. The world at large is opposed to "hoarders", but that is as much the powers that be wanting to make everyone dependant on someone else as anything. Hoarding isn't hoarding, it's prepping. For what isn't for me to judge. Only the person doing the prepping can answer that. If one has 17 rulers, one might wonder what they all do. I know what all mine do, the rest of the world doesn't matter.

not a farm, and not really a collector, things just seem to follow me home.
I know to some this seems convoluted but some things are just too good of a deal. And when that intersects with a possible use damn logic, I’ll squeeze it in somewhere. That’s exactly what happened when I rescued that old Atlas 7b shaper. I’d had an idle curiosity about one but thought the prices they were asking was collector prices and couldn’t justify it. Even though I felt it might be useful.

Then I walk into this 75x65 barn stacked 10’ high with every known and unknown tool and jig that looked like they had been stacked outside and shoved in with a dozer. There sticking out of a huge pile was the 7b, complete except for motor belt cover. Asked the guy how much and had told myself no more than $500 and was sure he’d say more. When he said $125 it’s was with a mixture of surprise and where the heck am I going to put it? Didn‘t stop me from whipping out the cash though.

Back