Best bang for buck metal lathe .. price range $1,200-$2,000

With your $2000 limit for the lathe & tooling, I think you'll definitely have to find something used & maybe then you still may not make that budget unless with minimal tooling. And with the 1-1/2" spindle bore & 220V requirements, you'll need to look at 12x & larger lathes. Most lathes smaller than that are 110V.

So your shop doesn't have 110V at all? That would be strange. I'm assuming you just don't have any more 110V outlets available?

With your $2000 limit for the lathe & tooling, I think you'll definitely have to find something used & maybe then you still may not make that budget unless with minimal tooling. And with the 1-1/2" spindle bore & 220V requirements, you'll need to look at 12x & larger lathes. Most lathes smaller than that are 110V.

So your shop doesn't have 110V at all? That would be strange. I'm assuming you just don't have any more 110V outlets available?

Ha ha ha I have the 110v outlets I just can't get any higher then 220v I have a wood lathe now that is 110.. as for the spindle bore I just thought I could drill the tool shaft hole easier If I could put the stock back in the spindle and not have to us a steady rest. It probably would not take anymore time to use the steady rest .. I am really looking at the g0572 but I am not shure I need the variable speed .. I could save about $450 if I got the G0602.. [h=1][/h]

I am by far not an expert on the lathe, but it might be possible to chuck a drill in a collet on the head and use that to drill into your handle. You'd have to have a secure setup to do so - possibly some milling attachment with a vise. Anyone know if that is that possible or is it a bad idea?

One thing I noted on the G0752 is that according to the tech spec for it, it is a [the correct part is a Delta VFD - not a Toshiba Inverter as listed] with a 3 phase 1hp motor (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0752_ds.pdf). One future option could be a CNC outfit for it, but you've already identified a possible shortcoming with the spindle bore. For a little more, you could get the G9972Z which is 11"x26", but it still has a 1" spindle bore. The PM-1127-VF has a 1-1/2" spindle bore.

Have you gotten more information about that Craigslist $1000 lathe yet? That might be the ticket if it's a diamond in the rough. Maybe they don't know what it is and just need it gone!

Last edited:
I am by far not an expert on the lathe, but it might be possible to chuck a drill in a collet on the head and use that to drill into your handle. You'd have to have a secure setup to do so - possibly some milling attachment with a vise. Anyone know if that is that possible or is it a bad idea?

One thing I noted on the G0752 is that according to the tech spec for it, it is a [the correct part is a Delta VFD - not a Toshiba Inverter as listed] with a 3 phase 1hp motor (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0752_ds.pdf). One future option could be a CNC outfit for it, but you've already identified a possible shortcoming with the spindle bore. For a little more, you could get the G9972Z which is 11"x26", but it still has a 1" spindle bore. The PM-1127-VF has a 1-1/2" spindle bore.

Have you gotten more information about that Craigslist $1000 lathe yet? That might be the ticket if it's a diamond in the rough. Maybe they don't know what it is and just need it gone!

I emailed the guy but nothing yet on that lathe

Something to think about, currently you have one piece you want to make. In a few months to a year you will have other ideas and pieces to make. Look beyond the current requirement and find a lathe that will work for you in the long run. It is addicting and you can make money with a lathe.

Perfect project for a copy lathe or CNC. There is no way you can turn a real profit at $50 each. Material cost, replaceable tooling, wear and tear and labor will eat anything close to a profit.

But a fellow with a CNC in his garage, and the want to make a few $$ might be possible.

I was turning out these 17HMR bore guides on my manual lathe. Took me about 3 minutes each turning out a quantity of 12. About a half hours work. If I simply want to realize $30 an hour for my time, that puts them at about $1.50 for time, materials, replaceables.....I put it out to bid on the Practical Machinist Forum and I have an order of 100 coming in a day or two for $1.17 each! But even better than that, I had a Technical High School shop teacher call me and he would like to do it as a CNC shop project! $36 for materials (100) and no cost for labor! 36 cents each.....Kids get a win, teacher gets a low tolerance repeatable project, and I get a great price!

alumbushing121914-vi.jpg

alumbushing121914-vi.jpg

alumbushing121914-vi.jpg

I did find this Clausing Lathe for $1000 But not knowing much about metal Lathes I don't want junk that I have to restore. I just want it to work and I don't want a project.
I don't Have alot of money I need this to work out right.

When I was in business I owned 2 Clausing Colchester lathes, they were considered the Cadillac of lathes at the time. Five years ago I sold my 13 inch for $2500. Down sized in retirement and couldn't take it with me. If I had the room I would still own it.

For cutting the long taper check out Bill's catfish reaper http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...e-Catfish-Reaper-quot/page3?highlight=catfish about post 88. His idea should make it pretty simple to nibble away at the aluminum to quickly achieve the taper desired.

Question on those high HP Clausings. What is the power draw for one of those? Is 7-1/2 HP about 25 amps per leg on 220 or would it be the rating of the 10 HP rotary phase converter? Just seems like a lot of electricity cost with those.

Dave

For cutting the long taper check out Bill's catfish reaper http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...e-Catfish-Reaper-quot/page3?highlight=catfish about post 88. His idea should make it pretty simple to nibble away at the aluminum to quickly achieve the taper desired.

Question on those high HP Clausings. What is the power draw for one of those? Is 7-1/2 HP about 25 amps per leg on 220 or would it be the rating of the 10 HP rotary phase converter? Just seems like a lot of electricity cost with those.

Dave

That would work great Thanks For that. That way will cut down on the time to make them a lot ..
I would have no way to move that big of a lathe.. it is about 1 ton I think.. plus I just don't need one that big for what I am using it for.. It is a good price tho

Back