Best topic for cleaning, adjusting chucks?

It seems to me that there's some splitting of hairs going on here. Increasing chuck diameter or length will result in an increased bending moment on the spindle and greater load on the bearings. Whether that will result in parting problems
is dependent on so many variables individual to a specific lathe and setup I doubt any generalization can be made.
But if the guy that made the vid experienced it with his lathe, then it seems to me that it's useful information. As if we need another reason to have problems parting off... :)

As the flu-ridden OP here, I'll first say in my self-defense that no, the previously turned work I put in the 3-j chuck was practically twirling around, even after very slow and careful placement in the chuck; the error was indeed as large as quoted above, no zeroes missing. Second, the chuck itself, measured as close to the spindle as possible, does appear to be fine, within .001. So I put the jaws in to soak out the detritus of the ages and a very significant quantity of crap emerged. I have not yet dismantled the rest of the chuck for cleaning, but now armed with Mikey's outstanding document, will quite soon.
I find the discussion about the Logan spindle, both here and in Winkey's videos, very interesting. I know him from the Logan.io board, he's a very smart and creative guy who has been a great source of confidence-building info for me since we're both Logan 820 owners. I haven't sufficiently deep knowledge and experience to evaluate the accuracy of his comments, and he does say "in my opinion" with each of his statements, but I do hear quite clearly what you all are saying. I probably mis-spoke to begin with: my 820 runs smoother and vibrates quite a bit less with the 5" chuck at high speed than it did with the 6", and I'm valuing the added real estate around the front corner of the headstock for mounting an indicator for carriage movement. Real estate is very scarce on the Logan, since the top of the cross-slide is sloped.
Also, I've just purchased one of the Beall ER32 collet chucks, since the vast majority of my uses of the lathe will be small work. It is dead on, even with the additional length, as noted above.

Thanks for the great discussion; I've learned a lot. As usual around here, the discussion has been far more valuable than a direct answer to the original question would have been.
Tim

It seems to me that there's some splitting of hairs going on here. Increasing chuck diameter or length will result in an increased bending moment on the spindle and greater load on the bearings. Whether that will result in parting problems
is dependent on so many variables individual to a specific lathe and setup I doubt any generalization can be made.
But if the guy that made the vid experienced it with his lathe, then it seems to me that it's useful information. As if we need another reason to have problems parting off... :)

Sorry, but I have trouble believing that the Logan spindle is so fragile that a slightly larger chuck will cause parting issues. I think this issue has more to do with his spindle bearings than it does the build of the lathe. I will leave it there as an opinion.

Tmenyc,

I hope that my comments were not taken as disrespect regarding Winkey's thoughts or knowledge. I follow him on YouTube and enjoy his common sense approach to shop problems etc. I too have an 820 Logan currently under minor repairs and a MW/Logan 2136 Logan I that I'm just getting the feel for. Hope to have the 820 up and running soon. I do not have a qcgb on the 2136.

Like you, I learn more from the conversation than my original question being answered.

John in Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, you showed no disrespect and I did not intend any, either.

I hope that my comments were not taken as disrespect regarding Winkey's thoughts or knowledge.."
John, not at all! I don't think I was defending Winky; just acknowledging that I know him and his stuff. When you're out there in video you're begging the question.
I am a novice, learning with every post, and particularly those where my issues are dissected, corrected, and then answered eight different ways by people far more knowledgeable than I'll ever be.
Keep it up!
Tim

Sorry, but I have trouble believing that the Logan spindle is so fragile that a slightly larger chuck will cause parting issues. I think this issue has more to do with his spindle bearings than it does the build of the lathe. I will leave it there as an opinion.

Um, mikey, I think we're actually kind of in agreement here. Maybe my post wasn't clear.

Back