Best "Value" Lathe Chuck, & Backplate Interchange?

Nesse1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My "lube the chuck" project worked well, but after everything was said and done, the chuck still feels crunchy. Particularly the last 5/8" or so of jaw travel.

So, I'd like to buy a new 6" 3 jaw. I paid $1650 for the lathe, so spending a grand on a chuck doesn't make sense to me. I found a new Bison 6", their cheapest version, for $400, but measurement data suggests it won't mate with my old chucks backplate. I was kind of hoping backplates were standardized, but apparently not? I thought about modifying the backplate, but the mounting hole locations seem different. How does one get a backplate that's assured of fitting the chuck, other than buying a branded version matching the chuck? Oh, the lathe attach is D1-4.

Are there any branded Taiwan chucks that are worth buying? Something to keep the cost down. I'm not going to be machining anything that requires super repeatability, so a "standard accuracy" chuck will be plenty good enough for me. I'll keep checking eBay, trying to shake out a gem, but so far, I haven't found anything.

Each chuck manufacture often has a different mounting hole layout, so often requires their back plate. That being said, they usually provide you with the chuck dimensions for the registration step and the bolt circle for mounting. You can check this against other brands of back plates or purchase a semi-finished one and turn the registration step as well as the drilling/ threading the bolt holes. Specific to Bison chucks, the Gator chucks are for the most part direct copies, so you can check their back plates to see if there is a corresponding one that will fit or be close. On some you may need to tweak their registration step. I bought a Gator back plate for one of my Bison chucks, and it was almost 1/2 the cost. If you have a specific model number of the chuck you are looking at, we may be able to give you some more specific advice.

It is worth checking Craigslist as well as eBay, sometimes something comes up. Shar's also sells some higher end Chinese chucks, they can be a bit better made, but still then the generic ones. Also worth checking out is a newer chuck model offered by Precession Mathews which is a set true type that comes with a D1-4 back plate.

Usually, you would mount the back plate on your lathe without the chuck, face it square, and profile the registers to match the chuck. Then drill your new pattern, tap if needed, viola!

I didn't know this, but it makes sense. The backplate is matched to the machine! So obvious...why did I miss it? In other words, don't bother looking for a chuck that comes with a backplate already attached?

I recently bought a 6" 3 jaw gator chuck complete with D1-4 back plate ,quite happy with it & I am sure it will be much cheaper in the US .

Are there any used equipment dealers in your area? If so, I would check them out. Over the years I've purchased more than a dozen different size and style chucks for my lathes. Of all those chucks only 1 was purchased new. all the others came from used equipment dealers. I'm sure prices have gone up in the last couple years, but the last one I bought was a 10" Skinner 4 jaw model complete with an L00 base plate. It looked as though it had never been used. Total cost was $100.00, tax included.

Many companies including Shars and others on eBay also sell semi-finished back plate blanks. I purchased one from this company a while back and have been satisfied with the results.

Shars and others also sell them.

Last edited:
I didn't know this, but it makes sense. The backplate is matched to the machine! So obvious...why did I miss it? In other words, don't bother looking for a chuck that comes with a backplate already attached?
It is usually cheaper to buy with a back plate included, and it's a time saver not to turn one, but generally making/modifying a backpplate to match chuck A to lathe spindle B is part of the job.

Okay, so Iooking for a direct mount, and they are somewhat rare. The Bison steel jobbies are this way, but they are very expensive.

Found this one for $450 OBO shipped. I'd have to buy/machine a backplate.

JN06T.jpg

Shars 6" steel body is about $500 + backplate.

shars 6 steel.jpg

Back