Best "Value" Lathe Chuck, & Backplate Interchange?

I personally prefer a set-true or zero-set type, if you do a lot of repetitive work where the stock is removed and then rechucked there can be a lot of cumulative error. The Shar's Zero-Set chuck is $496 and the matching D1-4 back plate is $102. If you sign up for their email list you get 10% off your first purchase (total would be ($537 + shipping). If you want a better quality chuck then get the one from PM.

I personally prefer a set-true or zero-set type, if you do a lot of repetitive work where the stock is removed and then rechucked there can be a lot of cumulative error. The Shar's Zero-Set chuck is $496 and the matching D1-4 back plate is $102. If you sign up for their email list you get 10% off your first purchase (total would be ($537 + shipping). If you want a better quality chuck then get the one from PM.

That PM chuck you linked is on backorder, with no ETA listed.

Okay, I bought the Kitagawa. Got it for a price I couldn't refuse.

According to the specs, it's 6.5" OD. The largest similar back plate I've found is 6.3". Do I get one of these, and live with a step, or get an 8" and hack it down? I'm leaning towards the later. Grizzly sells a "thick" D1-4 Southbend back plate which would work nicely, and isn't overly expensive.

The Kitagawa has been received, and shows low mileage inside, but some corrosion on the outside that's not coming out. Oh well on that. My lathe isn't perfect either...

I bought a Shars 8" backplate, with the intention of chopping it down to 6.5". Can't get it to seat in my lathes D1-4 adapter, though. Verified pin height, even tried different heights, and no matter what I do, there is daylight between the adapter and the backplate. With my old adapter, when tightening, I can feel the chuck tightening as the pins engage. With this Shars backplate, it seems that the pins go in, but tighten quickly, and won't go any more. Something is off.

So, I figure I'll send it back and get a different backplate. The idea of chopping down an 8"er is not appealing now either; the lathe doesn't have a good approach angle on a diameter this large so close to the spindle. I found a backplate from an eBay seller, claiming 6.5" diameter, which is perfect, so thinking about grabbing it.

I was also made a "discount offer" on a brand new Emco Maier 6" with integrated D1-4 adapter for $700. Seems like a fair deal to me. No fussing around with the backplate this way. Wish this offer would have come in before. It would have save me some time and hassle. More money, but I like the idea of new.

Last edited:
Looks like Rohm made the chucks for Emco.

Cdco sells d1-4 backplates semi machined for a good price. You have to machine the register for your chuck.

@Nesse1 have you tried to adjust the cam studs? it sounds like they have to be screwed in 1 more thread.

Yes, I adjusted them, trying different positions. Measured height with calipers. Compared to my other backplate that works. I just couldn't get that backplate to fit properly.

I'm aware of having to machine the register. Again, the issue I'm finding is that the chuck is 6.5" diameter, and the bolt center is 147mm (5.79"), and most backplates of similar size are too small (6" or 6.25"). I wound up buying the eBay backplate, because conversations with the seller assured me it's 6.5 or a little larger. Fingers crossed.

The other concern is that you measure the diameter of the taper versus a working one. Perhaps a manufacturing defect where they missed the grinding stage.

Back