Best "Value" Lathe Chuck, & Backplate Interchange?

Got the new back plate and it mounts up nicely. Problem, though, it's dented. Someone dropped it. Bummer. Waiting on response from the eBay seller.

Attachments

• 20230322_210504.jpg
    20230322_210504.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 35
Got the new back plate and it mounts up nicely. Problem, though, it's dented. Someone dropped it. Bummer. Waiting on response from the eBay seller.
Yeah, does it look old or did it happen in shipping?

It is pretty straightforward to use a file and stone to remove the resulting lip on the headstock face of the plate. You could then turn the OD down by .010 and the imbalance and imperfection would be gone. But I'd wait to see what the seller says first.

This is how my Sanou 4Jaw arrived a few yrs ago. I think there was 1 of the 4 screws still in the box.
other than a couple scratch’s, (I don’t worry about scratch’s) it has prover to be a great chuck.

Attachments

• 9CE1EEE0-F8E1-4BD3-A7B8-43FF64089B49.png
    9CE1EEE0-F8E1-4BD3-A7B8-43FF64089B49.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
The seller is being a jerk. Basically says, the plate is fine. Thing is, I need a plate of this size, and this is the only one I've been able to find. eBay does indeed suck sometimes.

It's damaged probably from poor packing contact Ebay. Maybe have someone order another with different address before you ship this one back probably not the best idea but. Check aliexpress.com or bangood.

The seller is being a jerk. Basically says, the plate is fine. Thing is, I need a plate of this size, and this is the only one I've been able to find. eBay does indeed suck sometimes.
The backplate is definately damaged either from shipping or preexisting. Either way I think it would be the sellers fault. I would contact him stating what would please you. Could be a partial refund, full refund, exchange whatever you come up with. Tell him you will leave a neg. Review on his packing and condition of product. If he’s smart he’d work with you. Neg. Reviews hurt a seller multiple ways.
On the other hand I personally would mount to the lathe and check the condition. Check the face where it mounts to chuck. File and stone the high spots. As Rabler said make it usable and pretty. The mounting surface on the spindle side is far from matting surfaces.

The seller totally changed his tune and issued me a full refund. A huge surprise. I didn't ask for this, he just did it. It's too much, actually. I would have been happy with a little beer money. The packing was excellent, and the box was not damaged, so the problem was preexisting. Maybe he was feeling guilty?

Anyway, I'll dress the spindle side and cut the face to fit my chuck. I should be able to skim off at least some of the dent on the OD, because the plate is a little larger than my chuck.

The seller totally changed his tune and issued me a full refund. A huge surprise. I didn't ask for this, he just did it. It's too much, actually. I would have been happy with a little beer money. The packing was excellent, and the box was not damaged, so the problem was preexisting. Maybe he was feeling guilty?

Anyway, I'll dress the spindle side and cut the face to fit my chuck. I should be able to skim off at least some of the dent on the OD, because the plate is a little larger than my chuck.
More likely he didn’t want you to open a “damaged” case with ebay.

Ebay hits sellers pretty hard when they get these types of complaints.

The other point is ebay rules make the seller refund full purchase and shipping prices for “item not as described or arrived damaged” cases. To add insult to injury (for sellers) ebay can also make the “offending” seller pay for return shipping if they want it back before refunding.

Its usually more economical for a seller to just refund the money and ay keep the item rather than loose more money to ship it back.

Now, if a buyer gets and item and just decideds they want to return it, the rules are on the sellers side and the buyer pays return shipping and looses the initial shipping.

Ebay is its own funny little selling place with its own strange rules…

Back