BEVEL TOOL FOR MAKING TOOL HOLDERS

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
wanting to make some tool holders for the part you see below needing to know what bevel tool to use........

Attachments

• 100_4003.JPG
    100_4003.JPG
    773.3 KB · Views: 40
60 degree dovetail cutter. As i understand it you hog out the middle section with an endmill and then feed the dovetail cutter into each end until you get to your desired width. You'll notice that the very middle is a bit lower than the dovetail sides; that's where the endmill cut. Just like any other cutter they come in HSS, brazed carbide, solid carbide and indexable carbide with a variety of flutes. I think you feed pretty slow with a shallow DoC but this is all based off what i've read as i've still to purchase my first dovetail cutter tool. I'll get be paying attention to this thread to see what i should get!

If you are just making storage for the tool holders, there is no need to cut the dovetail. I just used aluminum angle cut a little wider than the narrowest dimension of the opening.

20220612_184119.jpg

Oh, I might have misunderstood the question. I made a similar tool holder holder

PXL_20230423_205018788.jpg

It would depend on the machine you're using to make it! But the 60 degree dovetail is what you need on a mill.

Ah, that's entirely different.
60° dovetail cutter.
1683310108196.png

Not sure what your motivation is, but I recently had occasion to make quite a number of specialized holders.
You can buy finished holders cheaper than the raw material to make them.

It would depend on the machine you're using to make it! But the 60 degree dovetail is what you need on a mill.
thier going on a lathe...............so 60 degree would be the same right?

Ah, that's entirely different.
60° dovetail cutter.
View attachment 446891

Not sure what your motivation is, but I recently had occasion to make quite a number of specialized holders.
ya I know and started out buying 6 for $115 shipped but now knowing what I do and have a mill wanna make my own just for the challange...........question is are some cutters better than others??

AXA holders in Canada are running about $25 - $28 CDN. More for MT taper holders or cut off tools.

Back