BEVEL TOOL FOR MAKING TOOL HOLDERS

You could even make your own dovetail cutter if you are looking for a challenge and have some time to spare. Have a look at Randy Richards on YT for a good design of a single insert dovetail cutter. And if you don't want to make it he is selling his version too. Otherwise insert cutters seem silly expensive new when I did a casual search.

ya I know and started out buying 6 for $115 shipped but now knowing what I do and have a mill wanna make my own just for the challange...........question is are some cutters better than others??
I made my holders from pre-hardened 4140 from McMaster and used this cutter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112473330976
It produced a decent finish and held up better than I expected.

You could even make your own dovetail cutter if you are looking for a challenge and have some time to spare. Have a look at Randy Richards on YT for a good design of a single insert dovetail cutter. And if you don't want to make it he is selling his version too. Otherwise insert cutters seem silly expensive new when I did a casual search.
I seen them going from $18 up to $70 on fleabay made from diffrent materials ofcourse

60 degree dovetail cutter. As i understand it you hog out the middle section with an endmill and then feed the dovetail cutter into each end until you get to your desired width. You'll notice that the very middle is a bit lower than the dovetail sides; that's where the endmill cut. Just like any other cutter they come in HSS, brazed carbide, solid carbide and indexable carbide with a variety of flutes. I think you feed pretty slow with a shallow DoC but this is all based off what i've read as i've still to purchase my first dovetail cutter tool. I'll get be paying attention to this thread to see what i should get!
AXA holders in Canada are running about $25 - $28 CDN. More for MT taper holders or cut off tools.
buy a bigger cutter over an inch in diameter, do a good layout, remove the center section, then mill out the dovetails, cut the scribe line away, don't bother with the math as you can make two parts by the time it takes to do the math

yes I use OXA tool holders and heard 60degree doves will work but dont know how wide they are but have seen that ad before......thanx for the info

getting ready to buy a dove cutter but some say 60 degree others say 45degree
I have OXA T.Holders what do you think would work better?>??
Ordinary OXA tool holders and more importantly, the OXA tool post use 60 degree dovetails. 45 degrees won't fit.

Back