Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

LOL...

I'll give it a week to settle and try the test cut again to see if it shifts.

Thanks again!

The Boss says it's time for a new Starrett level. :D

Show off! All I have is an $80 Chinese "precision" level. It was useless when I received it, I had to calibrate it myself but after that it's been doing fine for me. One day I will have a Starrett too...I hope. :)

You're just jealous! Uh wait, er, um, I mean....:foot in mouth:

Will I see you have both the PM1263 & the PM45-PDF. I am thinking of getting these to machines from Matt later this year. ( I have to get back to work from my Sholder before I can justify that kind of spending) PM is in the forerunner of all the machines I have found in this size group. How do you like these machines? any regretts?
Mark

Matt no longer sells the PM45. He still sells the 932 and he has a new mill coming that will be very similar to my Charter Oak.

Will I see you have both the PM1263 & the PM45-PDF. I am thinking of getting these to machines from Matt later this year. ( I have to get back to work from my Sholder before I can justify that kind of spending) PM is in the forerunner of all the machines I have found in this size group. How do you like these machines? any regretts?
Mark

Mark, nope, no regrets. Not really regrets but I now want a larger lathe & back then I wanted a nice full size BP clone. Couldn't afford a new one & I really don't have the room for a BP clone anyway so maybe later. But both machines have been good to me & I'm still happy with them.

As Bill stated, the PM45M has been replaced by the PM932. The PM932 really is just a PM45 without the coolant system with a few more available accessories & the power feed head. Am I sad for not having a PM932 or my mill not coming with the preinstalled quill DRO, nope not at all. Keep in mind when I got my lathe & mill, there was no PM932, PM935, PM1340GT, PM1440BV, etc., I did not have those options. I remember the only other models I looked at were the PM1440HD & PM1340T (not GT, just T for Toolroom). The PM1340T was very nice! Basically a Clausing but it was more than twice the price I paid for the PM1236. The PM1440HD was out of my price range too.

Some day I may get a full size BP clone & will sell the PM45M. But if I ever get a bigger lathe, I don't want to sell my PM1236. It has served me well & I'm very happy with. Not sure why but my PM1236 has a number of slight differences than all the batches before & after mine & I like the differences. As far as a bigger lathe, well I doubt I will ever go larger than a 1440. But a 1440 really isn't that much bigger in size, well not worth me going from a 1236 to a 1440 except for the better features I would like to have. I have not needed a bigger lathe yet anyway, my PM1236 has handled everything I've thrown at it already. But I'm just a home shop hobby guy.

If/when I do get a 1440 it will be a "heavy duty" model. Nothing right now really catches my eye to go for an upgrade. For the price point & space, the PM1236 & PM932 are excellent choices. There's also the PM940 mill that is coming out soon which is basically like the COA 12Z. That's another mill that did not exist back then. Back then it was the IH mill (which got bought out by COA) but I sure wasn't going to by from IH at that time.

(Sorry Bill for hijack)

Back